Note Pro 12.2 WiFi or LTE?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by JackP, Nov 25, 2015.

1. JackP

JackP Pen Pal - Newbie

I've basically decided to get a Note Pro.
    I have a Thinkpad Tablet 2 which still works pretty well and a Helix if I want a more powerful Windows tablet, though it's heavy at 1.84 lbs. I thought about upgrading to Surface 3 or SP3 but between the expense and lack of usability as tablets...
    I gave my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) to my wife, so I think the Note Pro would be a nice addition and work well as a tablet for my needs.

I see the standard P900's as well as unlocked P907's available on Amazon & Ebay. Considering that I'm not sure I'll use the connectivity of the P907 (I'm on T-Mobile and could just hotspot from my phone if needed).
    1) Should I prefer one processor (Exynos vs. Qualcom S800) over the other?
    2) How is Rooting on each one (are Exynos's tougher to Root and/or have less Rom choices?)
    3) I think I saw that the P900 weighs 1.59 lbs and the P907 1.7?
    4) Other hardware differences?
    5) Available updates - I saw the P907 got 5.1.1?
    6) Bloatware?

Thanks!

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Super late to answer this but I feel the Qualcom S800 is worth it. Not enough apps are optimized to take advantage of the Exynos 8 core, and feels sluggish in contrast to the snapdragon. cant really answer the rest, but if you get the snapdragon you should notice the difference in performance and stability in most apps.

3. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

Galaxy Note 10.1 (2016)

4. stoneseeker

Is this a thing? article?
    I just looked and cant find any confirmation that a new note pro is on the way...

5. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

SM-P602, Zauba

6. stoneseeker

But SM-P602 is the 2014 version of the note 10.1. Wouldn't they change the model number?

7. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you're right. My mistake.

8. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Pen Pal - Newbie

I just picked up a Note 10.1 (2014) LTE locked to T-Mobile. I've been using an original Note 8 for note-taking in projects, and the sharper screen of the newer Note 10.1, along with the LTE was attractive. I purchased a Gear S with SIM card, and I've never used it as standalone, so the SIM and data plan were going to waste. I replaced the T-Mobile SIM with the Nano (with adapter) from my my Gear S. Good signal but no connection, so I purchased an unlock code. The tablet never asked for the code, so I played with the settings and voila! LTE signal and data transfer.

After booting for the first time, it updated to 5.1.1, and I appreciate the added features. I do a lot of business travel on United, and that app can now watch free movies on most flights. Watching on the Note 10.1 will be way better than on my Note 4 phone.

What remains to be seen is how handy this larger device will be for note-taking.

Ron

9. stoneseeker

Let us know how you get along with it! Sounds good so far.

10. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, after a week, I'm liking it a LOT. The 4G LTE works great, and the WiFi seems zippier than my Note 8. I have to admit that I'm not a power-user. I used it in a project for the first time, and while not as handy as my Note 8, it works fine for note-taking. While I'll continue to use S-Note on my Note 4 for quick notes, for projects, I'm using One-Note, on the 10.1 for the syncing with my PCs. The higher-def screen is much better for content, and I'm looking forward to my next flight on United, where they have free movies through the Android app.

Ron