Note Pro 12.2 SideSync 3.0 not working at all. In fact hardly anything works. help.

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Feb 3, 2015.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey all,

Once again I'm here completely frustrated trying to use a basic feature Samsung promises that I cannot for the life of me get working. Why is it that everything in Android fights you every step of the way?? The more basic the task the more difficult it is to make work!

EXAMPLES:
    -Drawing for over 20 minutes at a time in Sketchbook Pro will crash my Note tablet. This has happened many times now. The screen will just freeze while drawing and then go black (I do nothing, just sit there waiting for it to collect itself, hoping it doesn't rash) and then restart automatically. It's surprising how long it takes the Note Pro to restart too. Nowhere near as fast as a windows tablet with SSD.
    -Trying to watch youtube videos in the you tube app is near impossible. I frequently (and inconsistently) get an error saying "video playback error tap to retry" and a spinning circle is common. I give up and watch videos on my T902.
    -Anything requiring internet is painfully slow on this device (despite having fast internet at home) and things stutter and load and spin and chug, always making me wait or wonder if something will load. Most pages reload and reformat many times in Chrome making me click ads accidentally while trying to simply scroll down the page, which redirects me and makes me have to go back and repeat the whole thing over again.
    -Hearthstone drops connection frequently. A game I play (the only thing I have found the tablet useful for so far) is extremely laggy on this despite being snappy as all get out on SnapDragon versions, but I dont even care, I just want to play the game. So I will be in the middle of a match and then suddenly nothing responds properly and I am disconnected from the game server and miss a turn or two costing me the match.
    -NOTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD.
    -It would be nice to have at least ONE THING work on this tablet. Just one thing worth $700. You know, like e-mail. or something. Did I mention hotmail app is garbage? And that stock e-mail app only displays recent e-mails and has a limited range of things to do?

Sorry I'm always bitter and frustrated in the moment when I am asking for help with this thing, I just cant understand how so many people can live with something so expensive and so crippled.

ANYWAY, moving on to SideSync 3.0:
    Looks like a neat feature, and I would like to use it! Check it out here: http://www.samsung.com/us/sidesync/
    After some googling it appears I'm not the only one with issues connecting, so perhaps this is just one of those things I should give up on, but I'm hoping someone hear has a solution.

As far as I understand it, Side Sync allows you to navigate your tablet from your PC (and easily transfer files) sort of like remote PC only in reverse. So I downloaded the windows installation from Samsung and installed it on my T902, and then launched the Side Sync 3.0 on my Note Pro 12.2 It is painfully easy to install and set up, and they make it look like it should just work. It doesn't of course. Both devices don't see each other at all in the Side Sync app even though I hook them up to eachother directly using the USB cable. Wi-fi doesn't work either. Both of them just scan for a device and never find eachother.
    I'm wondering if there is some sort of permissions I have setup blocking it.

Interestingly, windows at least treats the tablet as a mass storage device and I can click into it like I would a external hard drive, so if I have to I can grab files that way, but I wanted to use all the fancy features of side sync not just grab some files off it with a cable like it was 2003.

HALP. Why does Android hate me so?
    Why can't it do anything with competence????

I'm hoping someone here is going to tell me about a magic button that exists on all android tablets that makes it work as advertised. And I'll feel soooooo stupid for not knowing about that magic button! Where is this button guys?

2. stoneseeker

UPDATE.
    Found a forum post at XDA where the issue is clarified. Once again I am trying to do something that it's not supposed to do.
    "the tablet only work as a host for a phone screen and doesn't connect to a host computer"

So I guess that solves that problem. It doesn't work.
    great.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

As for YouTube I think they moved away from Flash to HTML 5. So you will probably need a browser upgrade, Chrome may already be ready for it.

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Use AirDroid to grab files from your Tab thru the PC browser. Like anything Google, connection to the app works better if you use Chrome on your PC. I can easily transfer files back and forth from my Android devices with any PC.

About the other issues, that's just weird. can you use you home Internet on other devices when the tablet's WiFi is on? Years ago my home network got crippled every time my phone was connected to it via WiFi. I found out it was Dropbox camera upload was turned on and stealing all bandwidth available in the network.

SBP crashing and YouTube just lagging and never showing anything is new to me. Have this being always the case? If not, do you remember when it started? Do you remember which apps got installed around that time when the issue started? It may be an app creating havoc in your machine. If you identify it, try Uninstalling it and test if problems persist.

What you're experiencing is not normal. Last resort is a total factory reset and trying out your problematic apps after a fresh restore. Do you have a Google account? YouTube acts funny when you use it without an account. Make a Google and Samsung backup and after the factory reset restore your settings from those backups.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

5. stoneseeker

Browser? I'm using the official Youtube app to view you tube. I use Chrome Beta (feels quicker than regular Chrome so far) for everything else I don't have an app for.

But it seems to be behaving a bit better with adblocker uninstalled. I think it was messing up the connection with its proxy switch.
    Today at least, I was able to watch videos on youtube without the error, so let's hope it was adblocker.

Do you guys have any recommendations for ad blockers that don't mess with the functionality of the device?

Ads slow down what is already a pretty slow experience at times, but I can live with them if it means more stable connections.

6. stoneseeker

Well, I uninstalled ad blocker and it seems to have cleared up the connection issues in youtube at least. Thing is, I remember it doing this from day one of downloading the app, before I ever installed adblocker... Another odd one I forgot to mention that seems like a similar issue is the Magazine UX app that runs on the home screen. Since this things launch it's been notoriously buggy, (check the reviews like mobiletechreview) and when you try to refresh it or customize from the window it just spins and never connects and then says there is no content or error. This still hasn't been fixed! Samsung advertises the Magazine UX as a shining key feature along with their other Touchwhiz apps, why release it broken?? If I click on it and go in the magazine it eventually triggers and loads up my content from whenever I was last in, but the widget outside is essentially useless. I've seen it work maybe once or twice.

Hearthstone still loses connection occasionally, but it seems it's quite temperamental, since it's a common issue in the forums, especially with mobile users. When I turn off Utorrent on my wife's computer it seemed to help, but its hard to say if that was fluke or not. My laptop has never had any issues doing things like that while utorrent has been on in the background, so its weird that the tablet would be any different.

It's also apparently quite normal for the Exynos versions of the Samsung tabs to lag in a lot of applications (Hearthstone is extremely laggy on all exynos powered tablets, not just mine) that aren't optimized for it. I am really wishing I had spent the extra $150 and just got the Snap Dragon 800 chipset LTE. Quicker charging, way more optimized apps for that CPU and GPU, more powerful, less buggy, etc etc. Every time I look up an issue with this thing, the snapdragon owners (LTE version) are usually fine, but the exynos owners are SOL and suffering together. Having 8 cores that no developers care about puts the tablet at a distinct disadvantage. The worst offender is ArtRage mobile. Holy crap that thing is horrendous. It vectors a circle drawn at medium speed with any tool, especially pencil. It paints like its a snail on oxycodone. I imagine its bad on other tablets, but it can't be this bad for everyone. It must be the silly Exynos CPU again, which every developer seems to not even acknowledge even exists. Because of general lag everywhere (Chrome, swiping homescreens, doing anything) on this tablet, I am inclined to think its not an issue with just mine, but an issue with all the Exynos wifi only versions. There are many complaints about lag on the forums with the wi-fi only versions, and I think I am especially sensitive to it, coming from powerful machines only, and having little experience in the past with under-powered media tablets.
    Maybe I'll take a video sometime and you guys can tell me if its normal lag for a media tablet.

As far as the most extreme issue: Sketchbook Pro crashing my tablet after extended use (roughly 45 minutes or more).
    I guess it just seems that as soon as you start to use too many layers on a large file (even though I'm under the max) or push too many pixels too quickly the tablet either overheats or just gives up. The screen freezes, then goes black and the whole tablet resets itself without me touching anything. So far the other art applications haven't crashed the tablet, but I haven't done extended sessions with them to quite the same extent either. I even have CM security app on here and scan regularly so I doubt its an app causing it to be slow. Plus everything was pretty laggy from the first day I booted it up.

I guess the first thing to try would be uninstalling Sketchbook and reinstalling. Do you agree with this? I still think a full factory reset might be a bit extreme at this point.

Oh, I have another question:
    After installing the micro SD, apps have begun slowly changing their icons from the nice custom ones they came with to generic grey SD card ones. It seems they are voluntarily moving themselves or portions of themselves onto the microSD (which I dont want them to do unless they as me first, but maybe this level of control is impossible) . What does that mean? Is it bad? Why are they doing that? If I remove the microSD will I lose functionality??

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Just delete the icon (move it to the trash bin) and then insert it again from the app drawer. They become generic since they can't find the app where it used to be.
    Also, try rebooting once, then to into RAM manager and free up everything, then start Sketchbook and see how long you can run it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

stoneseeker likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

Thanks, but the icons are mostly concerning me not just for their appearance, but for what it could mean.. are portions of the programs storing themselves voluntarily on a micro SD? Is this normal Android behavior? Can I set a system preference for the SD card across the system?

9. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Some apps store data by default on a SD card if one is available. The apps run from eMMC. I think from Android 4.0 onwards the system no longer allows you to transfer apps to the SD card. App data (levels on games, Playlists, etc) can be saved to the Card tho.

However, if that data from the SD card is no longer detected, you'll get those funky icons. Reinserting the card usually solves it. If not, do what Kuma said. The settings to move app data (not the app) to the SD card is at the app level and not at the system-wide settings. So, mess around those individual app settings and see if you find the preferences you need.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

K got the icons looking normal again. I've decided I'll just let the system use the microSD (64 gig) whenever it wants, rather than try and set each app to not use it or whatever. It's a pain in the butt to take in and out again anyway, so I'll look into "airdroid" you mentioned to move files back and forth.
    Since removing ad-blocker, wi-fi seems to be working better, though it could have been that I shut off utorrent on my wifes Duo 13, not sure which fixed it.

I haven't had time to test Sketchbook Pro from a reset, but I'm uncertain it will make much difference. Whenever I've used sketchbook I close anything else and clear the RAM before beginning.

Art Rage lag is horrid, but it seems an issue with the developers not optimizing very well for Android, not an issue for my system, per se. Though a Snap Dragon would be handling it better I'm sure.
    Here's a reviewer being overly optimistic in the face of such unforgiveable lag:

to me that is unuseable, but mainly for the fact that as soon as you stop scribbling playfully on the canvas and actually try to say draw a nice circle, or render a good edge, it will vector and stutter destroying your stroke. For loose fun painting its passable, but overall I'm not really impressed with art rage.