Note 5 - no love?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Kumabjorn, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

That's generous ... I was thinking within the hour.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Reports on charging, video playback and editing, reading a book and dealing with time sheets take time. Not to mention deciding which car he'll decide to run it over with.

Balbutio ergo sum

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

That should take like 2 minutes max... unless the environmental lawyer has a large collection of cars we are unaware of.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The first one is going back. There are a couple of dead pixels. On my way there today.

5. Mesosphere

Only a couple? I assume you picked this one then?

[​IMG]

6. Bronsky

Okay. Initial impressions. I got a Galaxy Note with S-Cover case. It is a very interesting device. It is larger than my Lumia 928 but lighter I think. It feels far better in the hand when the case is not on but the S-View case really offers significant protection for the phone. Using it as a phone, however, I prefer it without its case.

Android OS is a completely changed OS now that it has Microsoft Office software on it. Just the functionality of OneNote and Onedrive removes a lot of the issues I had with Android on my old Droid. It's funny how functional Microsoft has made the Android OS.

I wish I knew more about android at the moment because I would like to keep the setup to a minimum and be very specific about what is installed on the GN5. I know there is a lot of crap being installed on the unit that I would prefer not be there.

The Octacore Exnos is fast. I've read reviews that say the A9 outperforms it but it is a quantum better than what I was using. With the Octacore CPU and an LTE connection, the GN5 is an ideal wifi hotspot for my Surface 3. My connection feels as fast as my home connection, I had my GN5 in a courtroom on Friday and its connection was faster than the Wifi supplied for admitted counsel by the Court system. It's a vast improvement in my remote connection and, given Verizon's coverage in this are, I have universal access for my S3.

The display is simply incredible. It is bright and contrasty.

The rapid charger is just that. It is a bit larger than the S3's charger. I got my new unit home late yesterday and it was at 24% out of the box. I had only 15 minutes before leaving for dinner. I put it on the charger for exactly 15 minutes and I took it off with a 69% charge. Battery life seems comparable to my Lumia but I have the sense that when I learn the set up better, I'll be able to extend that a bit. Still with my use, I could probably miss a nightly charging and have a useful device for a second day of work.

And, the best for last. I love the S-Pen. Although the tablet is large for a phone, it is the perfect size for a small note-taker. I miss an eraser on the S-Pen. I will be trying my S10 pen on it. I suspect that it will work fine. It's great to be inking with a traditional Wacom digitizer again. Handwriting feels so natural. I like the GN5s S-Pen software. The pop-up note pad when you remove the pen is a great idea. It is like the Surface's pen button and OneNote. Actually, I wish there was a way to customize what poped out when you removed the pen, as I would make OneNote appear rather than Samsung's software.

It is interesting that the S-Pen software is smoother than OneNote when inking. It seems to respond a fraction of a second faster than OneNote.

I like the S-View case. It protects the display and makes me feel more comfortable about silpping the phone into the back pocket of my jeans. Interestingly, the GN5, even though bigger than my Lumia, fits great in a back pocket. Unlike the sharp edges on my Lumia, the rounded edges and device thinness fit wtihout making holes in the pocket. So, the upshot of getting the GN5 is that I don't have to buy a pair of cargo pants to take my phone along when I'm dressed casually. The one thing that the S-View case should do is double as a kickstand when folded back, so the phone can be used in landscape mode. It is large enough to type with a BT keyboard like the one I used with the AVN8. That would permit faster handling of email and might even keep the S3 home on some occasions when it would normally travel with me.

In all, the device has a lot of potential. It adds a number of facets to a phone lacking in my 928. As much as I like the new Lumias, they can't hold a candle to the GN5 IMHO. It completes my move to a 2 device system and compliments the S3 perfectly. To be sure, I can think of some things I would like to see different, but that would be with any device. Microsoft needs to make something like this with x86 Atom power and a siloed pen. I can't tell you how great it is to have a pen at my fingertips again.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Check out Pen Tools in Play Store. It will allow you to start up OneNote when you remove the S-pen.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Sounds like a downshot to me =P

I'm always dressed casually =) I still don't own a suite or tie... probably wont be able to get away with that much longer though =(

9. Bronsky

Thanks. That was what I was looking for. No sooner did I download it than I figured out that the GN5's own software allows you to put OneNote in the pop up menu.

I get to go to the office in jeans almost half the time. Suits the rest of the time.

10. Mesosphere

For me it is 100%... sometimes I show up places where many of the others are wearing suits, but I didn't know that going in... Maybe my blue collar just never gave me the awareness of when more formal dress was expected.

During my PhD defense I was aware that most others dress formally for it, but, I was to busy worrying about my slides and finishing my thesis to be bothered with going out to buy a suit. Thankfully, they still passed me =P

Bronsky likes this.