Not working Quick Launch on new tm2s

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by wakeupneo, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

I have recently bought a tm2-2010eg, the german model with i5-430UM and ATI 5450. I got rid of the original german Windows 7 Home Premium, installed 64-bit Ultimate and since then it's impossible to get the screen rotation button to work along with automatic screen rotation. There is no sys-info for Fn+Esc, the Brightness and Volume pop-ups are also gone. HP support could not provide me a solution, they just recommended me to purchase a recovery kit for hard cash (I'm in Hungary, you don't want to know how much the S&H would be).

Here's what I have researched regarding the issue:
    HP had released a replacement for the "old" HP Quick Launch Buttons software (which is at about version 6.50 right now). It's called HP Quick Launch, version 2.0A for the tm2-2050us, according to HP's software and driver download site.
    This new software is very lightweight, only 2 MB compared to the 26 MB of the HP QLB software for the tm2-1000. It does not use a seperate keyboard driver (the older HP QLB used it's own keyboard driver, you can see it in the device manager), only the general windows one. The system information panel (Fn+Esc) went to a stylish black colour (see it here)

By default, without installing any kind of drivers I have the following things working:
    All function keys, including brightness, multimedia keys, volume and mute key (with status light!), wireless button. Fn+Esc does not work, nor does the screen rotation button work.
    Installing the tm2-1000's driver gives me the following "extras" over defaults:
    Brightness and Volume popup, white system info.
    Installing the same driver of tx2, or a generic one I was sent as the "solution" in a follow up email after my hours long chat session with HP: Same as tm2-1000's driver, just Windows 2000-ish looks :)

Installing the 2 MB new HP Quick Launch software gives me this:
    No volume or brightness popup (three bmp files are installed, but I can't tell what they are, see attachment). No system info (the exe of the new black sysinfo is included). No rotation button (an exe is included which rotates the screen by 90 degrees on every launch). No autorotate when going from notebook to tablet... BUT! There is autorotate from tablet to notebook (when I manually switch to say second landscape and open up the lid it goes back to primary landscape).

I can install both the new HP Quick Launch and the old tm2-1000 one to get volume and brightness popup with system info, plus the autorotate from tablet to notebook.

Even if I wasn't promised (or even hinted) to get a solution sometime soon I really hope that HP will make a Quick Launch software that actually makes the screen rotate button work!

What I would really like to see is to make the rotation using the accelerometer in HP 3D drive guard (found some small linux projects where they made it work to rotate a 3D cube).

Till either one of these happen, I will use the rotation from the jumplist of dant's awesome utility.

Futher reading:
    [Drivers] HP dv6 Gen 2 / dv7 Gen 3 / dv8 / HDX16 / HDX18 (INTEL) - Page 119]Same problem confirmed by a dv5 user (that's where the sys info screenshot is from)[/URL]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. zirdaj

zirdaj Pen Pal - Newbie

Were you able to make a set of recovery discs before wiping out your recovery partition? You can convince HP to send you the recovery kit for free if their recovery disc creation program didn't successfully create a recovery disc when you tried to.

3. Nyture

Nyture Scribbler - Standard Member

For the auto rotate, you have to update the ATI Drivers I believe and change some registry settings (its here on the boards somewhere). cant help with the quick launch buttons. Id recommend uninstall them all and then reinstalling v. 6.50.15.1 - that one works for me.

4. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

This. Auto-rotate was always a graphics driver feature.

5. wakeupneo

I didn't even try to...

Autorotate works fine when I'm going from tablet to normal notebook. The small screen rotation application that should be launched every time I press the screen rotate button works fine. I have the latest drivers in every way.

6. Nyture

Nyture Scribbler - Standard Member

Aye, its the graphics driver. I downgraded/upgrade different ones and it works fine.Had the same problem (switch from tablet to notebook, but not vice versa). After changing the drivers and registry settings & a reboot, works both ways.

7. wakeupneo

Was it the Intel or the ATI?

I tried to download and install both drivers. BUT!
    I downloaded the intel one for tm2-2050us from here:
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Driver HP TouchSmart tm2-2050us Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
    When I try to install it it extracts the files then tells me that this driver wasn't tested with this computer. Get the right driver from the manufacturer of the computer. (This is not exact, I got it in hungarian, just a rough translation.)

Any tips? Did HP upload a wrong driver?

8. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

@ wakeupneo:

Have you installed all HP support software? The Quick Launch software might be unable to function if other software/support drivers aren't installed.

HP and other companies have the nasty habit of releasing drivers that need other suport software, which is usually not available in the support page.

9. wakeupneo

I remember that there was some HP bloatware called something like HP support something, but I didn't install that one and I don't have the hard drive with me right now which has the whole swsetup folder. Where could I get a hold of it?

10. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

It should be available in the HP support page for your model. Try to install all the HP software, and then, if it's still isn't working, reinstall the HP Quick Launch software. Hope that works!

EDIT: Just noticed that it isn't available on the support page. Latest version is here: HP Support Assistant

You should also use it to find updates for your system. I remember the Support Assistant usually updated some system drivers provided by HP, I can't remember the name though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.