Not sure if my 4215 really is one

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by jordanew, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jordanew

jordanew Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a Fujitsu T4215 from J&R. Since they had the cheapest price on the web and I live here in NY, I figured I could just go pick one up and be done with it.

I found the process at the store to be a bit sketchy. Nowhere at the store did they list the full specs. The box says "T4215, T5600, TPC, DVD/CD-RW, 512M, 60G, IWLN, BT, 12XGA.

Sounds good, except that when I open the System menu in the Control Panel, it says Lifebook T4210 Series. Is this normal for the T4215?

Two other questions:

• Bluetooth: The machine is definitely supposed to have Bluetooth. There is a "Toshiba BT Port (COM64) that appears in the Device Manager, but there does not seem to be any program installed that adjusts the Bluetooth settings or turns it on. There is no "Bluetooth Devices" utility in the Control Panel, as Windows XP Help Center says their should be.
    • Screen: I think I have the Indoor/Outdoor screen, because the resolution is XGA, the screen is shiny, and the viewing angle is very good. However, I've notice that there seems to be some distortion from the shiny party of the screen. What I mean by this is that the screen seems to have two layers, a shiny surface, and just below this the actual pixels that are lighting up. In addition to the generally poor resolution of 1024 x 768, The shiny surface seems to be adding a sort of iridescent quality that I find quite annoying. Now that I pay close attention to to my old laptop (a Dell Latitude D620 w/ 1440 x 900 pixels), I see that it has the same issue. However it is much worse on my 4215, to the point of making me dizzy when I move my head while looking at the screen. Is this due to the indoor/outdoor screen or the low resolution, or is it something typical of Fujitsu laptops? I didn't read anything in the reviews about this.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can help me resolve this.

2. Freeman

Freeman Scribbler - Standard Member

The major difference on the T4215 vs. T4210 is the Core2Duo vs. CoreDuo

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you absolutely sure you have a T4215?

As Freeman above explains, the biggest giveaway will be the Core Duo v Core 2 Duo

4. naish01

naish01 Pen Pal - Newbie

About the screen, have a look at that http://www.tabletpcreview.com/assets/1398.jpg.

that's a picture from the t4210 review here on the site. if this is what you see (well, as good as a camera pix can show what we actually see), then this is totally ok and is what you get for having an outdoor screen.

I for my case got used to it pretty quickly. I just don't like the politics that for example here in Switzerland you can't even choose. You always get an in/out screen - and you would only get the XGA for the t4215, so no chance to get the bigger resolution.

5. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

For the Bluetooth you should have a disc that says "Bluetooth" on it in the disc pack that came with the Tablet (if not you can download the driver from the Fujitsu website, ask if you need a link). Install that driver and the program with it and make sure that your wireless button is switched to on and you should have Bluetooth up and running.

6. P8RSON

Interesting that it is available for download from Fujitsu as from Fujitsu Siemens it is a totally different matter.

If you don't have the Bluetooth disk, you have a problem.

Unfortunately the software is licenced and the driver can not be downloaded.

This is what I copied from the Fujitsu Siemens site:-
    Bluetooth driver
    Item number: 23315830 Date: 02.01.2007
    Description:
    I need Bluetooth driver for my notebook, USB dongle or PCI Card.
    Solution:

To use Bluetooth you need special software. The driver for the Bluetooth module is normally enclosed to this software.

The Bluetooth software provided by Fujitsu Siemens Computers is licence required. Depending on the ordered configuration the software is delivered on CD. For this reason a download is not possible.

7. ahamilton55

Okay I'm sorry the Vista threw me off. I gave someone a link yesterday for the Vista Bluetooth drivers so I assumed that they would have the XP Tablet PC software as well but you're right they don't. Sorry.

8. jordanew

jordanew Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, in order:

1. 4210 or 4215: I've attached the screen shot of the Control Panel System screen and the Device Manager. It says "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU". No mention of "Duo". I'm not sure what this means. Anyone?
    2. Bluetooth: Thanks for the pointers. I've got it working now. I've gotten lazy after two years of having no admin rights and an IT department to do everything. Got to get used to having my own computer again ...
    3. Screen: I can't really tell from the phone someone posted. I suspect that this is just how it is though. Like I said, my old laptop screen had the same effect, it was just much more subtle.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

Attached Files:

9. ahamilton55

10. P8RSON

Agree with Andrew above.
    The T5600 is indeed part of the Core 2 Duo family of chips. :)