Not much chatter about Motion Computing

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by Cooljohnb, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgermuga

jgermuga Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought I would bring this up since I have'nt seen much in this forum about MC. I was originally considering a Tecra M4 and would have jumped in, but am concerned about the viewing angle. So I thought, before dropping a lot of cash on a machine and potentially sacrafice screen resolution for the tablet features, it would be nice to try one out first.

Another factor lower on my priority list, was the size and weight of the machine. I really like the idea of using a pen most of the time when I am out and about, and would gladly drop the extra poundage, but can I get by on the road with a slate.

So the experiment begins. I just picked up an M1300 on eBay to do some real world testing and see if I can live with the slate form factor. I know there are much better recent options, and some of the smaller convertables are getting close in weight to the slates, but for more then twice the price of an older unit. Also, I can't justify in my mind paying top dollar for a machine like the X41 or HP4200 when they have only a 12.1 screen.

I am thinking it can go one of three ways.

1. I love the slate design and upgrade to one of the latest and greatest slate models.
    2. For the amount of use it gets, perhaps I'll just go for a state of the art notebook and use the slate as a backup.
    3. I'll love the slate features and find them usefull some of the time on the road, but will still want to have a full bore laptop (of the desktop replacment caliber) to tote around regardless of the extra weight to get up to a 14+ display.

I'll try and post some obeservations when I have had it a few days. Perhpas this will help some of you who have faced these same questions.

It may also round out some discussion on the Motion Computing products, as the forum is a bit light.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Motion has a few problems. They only make slates, so that immediately slashes their market size. They're a small brand that only plays in this niche. They don't have any stores or retail distribution to speak of, so no one can see their products. They're not active in the promotion of their products with the press. They don't attend trade shows...the list goes on.

They do make a quality product though, and at the end of the day, that means a lot. But when they have all those other issues to battle, it's kind of a steps forward, 1 1/2 back.

3. jgermuga

All good points.

They used to distribute through Gateway, but they have since closed the Gateway Country doors. I believe Dell was carrying them for a while too but that wouldn't help with the touch and feel.

In fact, to state the obvious irony, take me for example... I am buying a used one on eBay to get a demo. :eek:

However, my counter point would be, I have not seen the newest Acer or the Tecra M4 in the store either.

Ahhh... living on the (b)leading edge. I'm such a geek!

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're right, retail distribution of tablets is pretty bad. Dell still sells Motion, but as you noted, it doesn't really help the touch issue. I have no problem with Motion, but a lot of their issues are self inflicted. If they were a touch more promotional, they could increase sales without spending much to get there.

5. jgermuga

So far so good. I have had the M1300 for about a week now and I am pretty happy so far. Things I like

Performance is pretty decent
    It's light and easy to carry about the house
    The slate design beats having to prop it up on my lap in awkward positions
    Integrated wireless has worked seamlessly

Things I don't like
    It can get hot, although keeping the cover attached to the back does diffuse some of the heat
    The multi use button is not as "accurate" as I would like. Sometime when pressed, it responds well, sometimes it does not.
    Could use a few more hardware buttons, and a jog dial would be ideal.
    No eraser on the pen. I have not seen one with this, but from my experience so far, it seems like it would come in handy.
    I think any device like this should come with at least one spare stylis/pen. My dogs seem to have an inate sense of what would be most annoying to thier owner to "borrow" as a chew toy!
    The off angle viewing is not great, although I had not expected it to be as this was a major improvement in the 1400 and 1600 models.
    I can now see the utility of the biometric reader. When you boot up or come out of hibernate, prudence dictates a log in should be enabled, however, you need to use the button tap method for entering these for most passwords (I may write more on this later in off topic) and it would be nice to have a ready method for authentication since you do this ALOT! This feature is also standard on the 1600 model.

In general, would this machine be sufficient for someone as a laptop replacement? I think the deciding factors are a larger screen size and an integrated optical drive. These are probably an unlikely form factor for a slate design. I think the intent is to keep the display and size to a standard sheet of paper. The optical drive adds weight, and given the anticipated usage, I think people who make use of a slate would be more inclined to sacrafice weight for longer battery life, rather than an optical drive.

But by and large, I am pretty satisfied with the machine. I would definitely look into another slate machine and I could see myself using a setup with the slate for carrying and input convenience, coupled with a docking solution to get the office display size I like and the usage of the keyboard and such.

There's also the ability to span screens for the display, so when using a secondary display, the screen does not get wasted. You can also mirror the tablet screen so if you are into drawing, you can use the tablet lying flat and see your work on the monitor. Pretty cool!

I have some other observations which I alluded to on using a tablet in general, but I'll post this to another topic later.

Hope this helps some people out there trying to decide if a slate is right for them.

John

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the info. on that Motion. It sounds like you have mixed feelings about that machine. I wonder how you would like the Fujitsu ST5000 slate. I personally love the Fujitsu slate, but we have not yet reviewed a Motion Tablet for comparison.

7. jim@rltychk.com

jim@rltychk.com Pen Pal - Newbie

I have used the M1400 now for a little over a year. I love it. It is my only computer now. I have a desktop but it sits abandoned except when my wife plays games on it. I travel a lot and find that it's light and versatile. I got the view anywhere screen, a gig of RAM and 60 gig hard drive. The voice recognition is good in a quiet environment, handwriting recognition superb.

8. ashkelon

ashkelon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll second that. I have an M1400 that I picked up, thinking it would be good for meetings and scheduling/PDA tasks, but more versitile. No kidding. I'm glad I chose the slate for my first tablet, I've got the motion field case with the bluetooth keyboard, but I rarely use it except for large hunks of new code. The rest of the time the handwriting and speech do superbly for me.

I have a Vaio Laptop, and I expected to keep that for my main development machine, and relagate the slate to being a secretary -- The Vaio is gathering dust.

I also knew little about Motion, and just kind of "fell" on this machine. I know I'll be looking at Motion when I upgrade to a newer slate and pass this one over to my kid. That won't be for awhile, though, because it's a pretty hot little machine.

I upgraded to 2 gig of RAM, and only have a 40 gig HD, but I drag a lot of my code on 3 40 gig Firelites, so all that's on board is apps and current project data, notes, etc.

9. Cooljohnb

Cooljohnb Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a LS800 which has replaced a Dell Inspiron 9100 and an HP 4700 pocket PC. I now use the tablet for all my computing needs and find it very good it has 60GB hard disk and 1GB RAM. If you go to Allegiance Technology's website they will loan a Motion tablet for you to try and judging from the comments at www.tabletbuzz.com they are a good company to deal with, as I live in UK it is not practical for me to their website is: http://www.alltp.com/

Hope that helps anyone interested in Motion products.