Not Genuine?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Boots, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

We bought an HP 2730p on Ebay, refurbished with Windows 7 Professional. It is saying that this version is not genuine and cannot be verified, and certain features will be disabled in 31 days.

Coming from Ebay, I would not be surprised if it's counterfeit, but I'm hoping it's an error.

Is there any way to fix this without actually buying a new version of Windows 7? What will be disabled, and will it be things that will hinder the usage of the computer?

There should be an option to reset to factory settings. Does anyone know if the 2730 would reset to Vista or XP?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm guessing it was one of these HP Compaq EliteBook 2730p Windows 7, Notebook Tablet Dual Core 12" WiFi [51] | eBay if so then on the bottom of the computer the COA sticker for win 7 should be there (or perhaps it was included elsewhere), then you just need to continue with the activate prompt and re-enter the serial (COA key's number) and choose to activate via phone (its just calling an automated MS system and entering the numbers the prompt spits out)

3. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I've got a CoA sticker, but the number format Windows Activation wants is different from what I've got. They want XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX, and I've got XXXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX if that makes any sense. It won't even let me put in certain characters.

Should I be using something other than the Windows Activation product key validation that's coming up?

Edit: And yeah, I think that's the exact one we got.

Edit 2: Found other option for phone, doing that now...

4. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks like it worked, thanks for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.