Norton vs Webroot Antivirus/Anti-Spyware?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by PCgirl, Jul 11, 2008.

1. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I have two antivirus options: Norton or Webroot. Which is better, and why?

Any opinions appreciated, thanks!

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Norton has too much bloat, and I haven't heard of Webroot, so I'd have to default to selecting Norton. I don't recommend Norton though.

You say you only have two options, but in case that's not quite the truth, I recommend Avast, which is free. I also like the Kaspersky suite, which I personally use, but you have to pay for it.

3. cjaydb

cjaydb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea use Kaspersky, waay better, it's what I use. It's got the highest detection rates of all the AV out there at the moment. I've used Webroot in the past and that didn't do crap. Norton just uses waay too much system resources. Get Kaspersky since I assume you were planning on purchasing Norton.

4. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

^^Thanks guys.

Yes, I have the 60-day Norton that came with the 2510 so I'd have to purchase it anyway. We already own a webroot system, which is what I meant by having two options, since I am already using the Norton and already have the Webroot disc. Never heard of Kaspersky but will check it out.

Thanks for your input!

5. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I just installed AVG and AdAware. Will try those out and see how I like them. I was going to also try Avast as leaftye suggested and SpyBot. Avast looked a little confusing to me with all the buttons, but if AVG doesn't work for me I will try the Avast.

I uninstalled Norton and already my Firefox is working better!

Thanks again for your help everyone.

6. Jpwinks

Jpwinks Pen Pal - Newbie

I want a better internet security software package then Norton... is there one on the market that uses less resources than norton? Perhaps a cheaper one? Probably sumthing that will automatically protect me like internet security 2008 states it does.

7. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have used Norton and McAfee in the past, and both are crap!

I currently use ESET NOD32 because it really does not slow down the machine, it's the fastest AV out there and is one of the best AV available, especially in detecting new unknown viruses.
    I can't recommend the free AV. They just aren't able to remove some virus, are slow, and also slow in updates.
    Kaspersky seems to be good, too, but I haven't used it, and I will not use it :)
    So if you want a fast system with an AV scanner, then get NOD32, if you want a not so fast system with maybe better recognition of older viruses, then get Kaspersky.

Don't take this list too serious, it's a nice list of a few available AV progams, with some more or less meaningful tests.
    Test: On-demand comparative
    Test: Retrospective/ProActive Test

I currently don't use a software firewall, except of the win XP integrated one, so I can't say how good ESETs firewall is.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've also been using NOD32 for about a year, and haven't looked back. Norton, quite frankly, is a huge hog of resources and that is the reason why I don't use it now.

9. carpandean

carpandean Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the first things that I did with my TX2510US was to uninstall Norton and download ZoneAlarm Security Suite (I had already purchased a license for a different brand laptop that I returned). It made a big difference in performance, which also helps with managing your power settings to reduce heat buildup. ZA SS was rated second best on a recent list of available AV, losing out on the top spot because its support is only web-based. I believe it uses Kaspersky (which was #1 in the same ranking) as its AV base.

10. nigel

nigel Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know how to get Norton Internet Security 2008 out from Welcome center?
    I don't like Norton either. It slow down the system, and it's setup process is complicated. During the setup process, it forces you to do the registration which is not friendly at all. I am currently using McAfee because I got three free user license from Scottrade.