Norton Bundled Software

Discussion in 'Asus' started by supernova, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pezhead

Pezhead Pen Pal - Newbie

Did this CD come with anyone's machine? It was installed on my machine but I keep getting an error - "Norton Antivirus does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall".

It is very annoying becuase it does this everytime you open a document and pops up 2-3 times.

I want to try to use Norton as I've been finding the McAfee just sucks up too much system resources for my liking. Why have anti-virus that slows your machine down so much, its almost worse than having a virus.

2. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

It's in the additional software folder on the drivers disc...... if you insert the disc it'll autoload and down towards the bottom there's that link for "addition software"...

What repair features did you do?

Personsally, if you don't have an AV preference, I'd tell you to look at PCcillin or Kaspersky (my current fav over the last year). Norton and McAfee suck and everyone knows it. Asus used to include PCcillin, but they included a nice light version which was 2002 and people didn't install it or used something because they thought it was out of date. Where in fact it was used becasue it only used something like 5mb of system ram and yet stayed up to date and even could be reinstalled every year and you could continue to use it. Asus thought it was easier to just give them the new norton instead of listening to those people that didn't know better.

3. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

re: "Norton Antivirus does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall"

did you per chance move norton in your start menu to clean up the look of your start menu? it may like being in it's original place... try that.

4. Pezhead

Pezhead Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks folks. I found a setting inside Norton that did something special for office documents. I turned that off and it seems to work well.

Will try these other fixes and report back.

5. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I cancelled out of NAV as soon as it tried to install. Then, I removed it entirely from my system and installed Avast! AV and Comodo for Firewall. Both are free for personal use. I used to use Sygate for firewall, but since it was pulled from the market by Symantec, it's gotten a little dated and I'm not sure how much protection it still affords.

6. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Works a treat and has ID Theft security, which I think is terrific given you have personal info littered all over your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.