Norton anitvirus won't go away after uninstall

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Tiezep, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

Hi everyone, I just got my new tablet last week for my b-day and I love it. one thing I hate is that norton keeps re-appearing. I have comcast so I get mcaffee for free, and I chose to go with that instead. but each time I restart my computer norton is reinstalled and tries to do a security check.

does anyone know how to get norton, to you know, ---- off?

norton is more like a virus rather than a virus blocker on my 8 year old dell too.

thanks
    -Tyler

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

It shouldn't be that hard to uninstall norton. it should be:

Control Panel
    Add remove programs
    select Norton
    follow the wizard
    Done.

EDIT: make sure you are uninstalling ALL components of norton. Norton often leaves behind some other bits under the name of SYSMATEC (spelling?). try uninstalling those as well.

3. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like you were just saying no to Norton Setup Guide, which appears after every restart. Did you actually uninstall it through the normal method shown in the previous post?

4. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

another interesting thing to add is that Norton's website has a file/program specifically programmed to COMPLETELY remove its product without a trace on one go labeled "Norton Removal Tool".

they admittedly say that it's HARD removing their product completely.

5. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

thanks 970261, that did the trick. we'll see in the future if it's completely gone.

-Tyler

6. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

Whenever I re-install the OS, using the backup disc's, I don't let Norton do anything, straight off the bat. Close any Norton stuff and uninstall it right away. PC decrapifier works well too. ..Willy.

7. sas_sas

sas_sas Pen Pal - Newbie

hi folks,

I 'd like to know from the ones who removed the norton saticifactorily.

Is there still hanging trouble ?

- if so, when do you have this trouble more? during only Internet browsing or always?

8. Höperö

Höperö Pen Pal - Newbie

I had F-Secure from my previous computer, but its installation was going to be an adventure, for my tx2500 already was a Norton's bit*h...
    I tried my best removing Norton, and boy, was it stubborn. Even now I'm not sure if it is gone for good. First I used Total Uninstall (http://www.martau.com/tu.php), but despite its name, it left something, that I don't remember. It might have been some kind of disconnected part of the program, or separate program because Total Install is quite thorough. Then I found out that Norton itself has an application to remove its products, and with it I took the remaining other part.

Now I was cautiously hopefull, but even then my TX2500 was too afraid to let any security program in, in the fear of jealous Norton coming back, slapping bluescreens into its pretty screen. F-Secures technical support adviced me to use their removal tool. Only after that my poor TX2500 started to feel better. It worked like a charm for a couple of weeks, and it started to bluescreening again. This time i think it was between my F-Secure and Messenger or skype though. Then I tried Advanced System Care (http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html). It found about ten tons of crap from registry, and fearing the worst I clicked the ok button, and it cleaned all the crap in a snap. NOW my computer SEEMS to work beautifully. Now it starts a lot faster and I'm starting to feel safer about its stability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.