Noob seeking advice on new HP 2710p

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RalfR, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RalfR

RalfR Pen Pal - Newbie

I am about to enter the Tablet PC world, and looking forward to the opportunities this offers.

I have ordered a new 2710p (going cheap :) ), and am looking for answers to some basic questions. I have found this site to be extremely helpful in guiding my decision to purchase this particular notebook. The computer has 4GB ram, Vista Business and a 1.33 processor.

I don't know much about hardware, so I may not have framed my questions correctly.

The tablet pc will be used as a mobile notepad. I will be entering information into a large Word document using the pen, and allowing the computer to convert my handwriting to text. I will also be using Windows Speech Recognition quite a bit. I don't really need to watch movies, or use graphic intensive programs like video editing or photos etc. I don't need a lot of storage, as this is not my main computer.

1) I understand that I have a once off opportunity to decide on 32 bit or 64 bit. Is there any advantage to using 64 bit? I don't really know what this means, however if it results in better performance for the above scenario, then I may consider this. Are there any disadvantages to using 64bit.

2) Is it possible to use a 32gb 64gb express card SSD for running Vista, assuming there would be an increase in performance.

3) How do I load software onto this machine if there is no DVD drive?

Thanking you all in advance.

2. ajreynol

ajreynol Pen Pal - Newbie

1.) Go 64-bit. if for no other reason than because software in the future will run better on it, and because it 64-bit runs great on Win 7. Disadvantages are that some (now, pretty few) applications don't run on 64-bit. If you run a lot of legacy applications that aren't supported by developers anymore, you might want to go 32-bit, then upgrade at some point later.

2.) the speed with which Vista would run is entirely a function of the read/write capabilities of the SDD drive. it might be a bit complicated for you to set up the computer to boot from an express card as well. Something to research before you commit to that kind of plan.

3.) Download it.

Alternately, you can buy a USB CD drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n=usb dvd drive&name=External CD / DVD Drives)

Or you could put your CD-based software into another computer, then copy the installation files onto a flash drive/SSD card and install the software from a folder on the flash drive.

best of luck.

3. RalfR

RalfR Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, that helps a lot. Since posting, I've just learned from the thread above mine that One Note may have a few problems, however I'll look into that. I have only explored One Note recently, and it terns out to be a fantastic program IMHO, because I kind of structure my stuff like that anyway. Thanks again for the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.