Nokia N800 Internet Tablet Review (Video)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by d-Roc, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Freeman, XP is an operating system, the N800 is a device that's competing in a space where the expectation is that certain applications are installed. If you use the XP analogy, you'd need to be comparing against something similar, like OS X, or Linux flavors and so on.

2. d-Roc

d-Roc Pen Pal - Newbie

Good points. Looking at the review that way, I can see where you'd say that.

XP does come with an addy book though (Start, Accessories); and most with IE preinstalled have OL Express ;)

3. Freeman

Freeman Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not saying that N800 should be compare to XP, I'm saying why double standard? We all know that most computer that capable of running XP are better than PDA or N800, but when XP doesn't come with Outlook, it's okay. Well N800 isn't a PDA, it's an "Internet Tablet", and thus doesn't come with a calendar app. Suddenly that's a downfall for an N800 because it doesn't come with an application that most PDA have. N800 at the moment is on a category of it own. You can't make certain comment about it as good nor bad by comparing it to other that's not in the same category. Why should N800 be any difference? The comparison should have been made to the Nokia 770. I know that the comparison wasn't being made intentionally, but the fact is that it did and people fail to realized it. If you were going to compare it to a PDA, well most PDA come w/ a puny QVGA resolution 320x240, yet most were't label as cons, and yet the N800 wasn't as pro for that matter. But why is that, because PDA wasn't made to surf the net, N800 is. Most website now a day design their website for 800x600 or even 1024x768. Any websurfing device that doesn't have a minimum horizontal resolution of 800pixels are just begging for trouble.

4. d-Roc

d-Roc Pen Pal - Newbie

Ouchie again.
    The hardest thing to do to a device that has no clear competitor is to frame it within something people are already fammiliar with. Whether that is PDA or tablet, this device sits between them, and even moreso overlaps. To remark on simlarities and then what is and is not there isn't so much a comparison knock, but a features one. For example, if you give me Google IM and Gtalk, wouldnt GCal be something that should also be included?

I personally have had too little time with the 770 to consider it as a comparative device. Thoguh you are right in saying that it would be a better device to compare this to (Palm's LifeDrive, and a few PMPs would also be suitable compairson devices).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.