Noise from fan?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Teknolai, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknolai

Teknolai Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Please go easy on my first post :)

I've had a 2740p for a couple of weeks now, and already RMAed it once, due to what I'd call unnecessary noise from the fan. Although I really like this computer, it seems to be a lot more noisy than it should. So I'd really like to hear other opinions on this.

In both units I've had the fan does not stop, not on ac or on battery. When it has idled for some minutes it does slow down a bit, but it's still quite noisy. The noise is higher pitched than fans in my previous laptops. It seems to me that the fan might be too small, and that the machine is configured with more heat generating hardware than the fan can cool down. Although when I'm only doing websurfing over WiFi, it is not warm at all. (But the fan is still on.)

Please say someone has better experience with this. I'd hate to have to decide for another laptop.

2. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

Fan noise is at normal levels for me, and I've cycled through several of these bad-boys.
    It is on more often than the 2730p I originally had, but nowhere near as much as my touchsmart nor my wife's laptop.

It is noticeable, but not that loud. I'd say about standard, from what I've seen.

3. samaarons

samaarons Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with you that It is no where near tx2. It is about standard. Mine is not on all the time though. This is my 2nd 2470.

4. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

I hear the fan, but it does not bother me, its like a silent breeze:rolleyes: ...I like that it is keeping this i7, SSD, 8g badboy cool!:D

5. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Im sure that by hacking the dsdt.aml one could get the fan to stay disabled until a certain cpu temperature is reached (say 45celsius).

6. shyam111

shyam111 Pen Pal - Newbie

You can change the settings in the bios to make the fan "always on when on AC" this cuts down the noise quite a lot! I've got my hand next to my fan and i cant feel any air coming out as i'm typing on AC power.

Also, the do a clean install. this made my machine much quieter and did not heat up as much.

7. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

yes. hp's stock software is extremely inefficient. for example hp protect tools has a glitch that will start eating processor cycles. it is reported as 25% of your cpu in task manager which effectively means it is eating an entire core. this will lead to significant power consumption and heat. whenever my fan start spinning up, i always check to see if this process is eating up a core and it always is. i just kill it and my computer returns to normal.

i know there is an update for this glitch, but it wont install on my machine. the program will not uninstall either. i need to do a clean wipe, when i get the chance

8. shyam111

shyam111 Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought it was the HP power assistant causing the glitch, not the protect tools?

9. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

maybe they both are. i can't remember the name of the process. whenever i end the process though, i can't log in anymore with my fingerprint so I assume it is the protect tools but I think a lot of HP's software has really bad glitches so it may be the case that the power assistant causes the same problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.