No split keyboard in fall Creator's update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by HJK, Dec 25, 2017.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Is anyone else out there as passing wroth as I am that the split keyboard has disappeared in the recent update? Is there any way to get it to come back? Like some hidden option somewhere?

This seems beyond ridiculous to me. It seems to reflect an orientation on the part of Windows to abandon tablets, which is not good for those of us who are members of this forum.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It’s back in the latest Insider build. Should be back for all users by March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Hardy and HJK like this.
  3. HJK

Yay! A thousand hoorays! ("hooray"--now there's a corny word).
    I've never gone for the insider build because I've been afraid of glitches, but this bit of news may be enough to make me want to take the plunge. It's also an encouraging sign that Redmond may not be abandoning those of us who are still interested in genuine tablet PCs.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't recommend switching to Insider right now if that's the only reason you want to do it. Microsoft has a pattern of dumping out a big Insider update right before the holidays with lots of features included... and then it'll take a few weeks for people to get back from holidays and for a new build to come out with fixes. And typically in general when they throw out a ton of features all out once, those builds are extra buggy. I would say this one follows that pattern.

(For what it's worth, personally I hate that the swiping for typing was forced on, as I much prefer the old functionality where you would swipe for alternative input - symbols, numbers, etc., but that's also new in these series of builds.)

WillAdams likes this.
  5. HJK

I feel foolish to admit it, but I didn't realize that the new small keyboard supported swiping until after I started this thread. I found that out by reading a thread on the topic on some other forum somewhere. In my opinion, adding the swipe functionality is great in theory, and it is a sign of some concern for tablet functionality.
    Even so, I don't see how the addition of a swipe keyboard should lead to the elimination of the split keyboard. And the current swipe keyboard is much too small on the 10.1 inch Thinkpad that I tried using it on. It seems to me that it would be too small for even a Surface Pro, too.