No pressure sensitivity with Photoshop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pokipsy, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

On my hp 2710p pressure sensitivity works fine with Artrage and Sketchbook pro BUT doesn't work at all with Photoshop (and also with OpenCanvas). I read someone solved a similar problem by either
    1) checking "turn off advanced text services for this program" (in the compatibility options of the executable file)
    2) adding an entry in the registry ( see http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=70072&postcount=63 )
    3) Installing new wacom drivers
    The first is apparently impossible in windows Vista (which is my OS), the second has been tried unsuccesfully and the third is dangerous because I see it always happen that people installing wacom drivers experiences other new problems (I don't want my pen to stop working also with Artrage and Sketchbook pro).
    Any advice?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You need the native Wacom drivers.
    To be honest I don't understand the problems people have with installing them. I installed the Wacom drivers several times on my tablet and hadn't any problems at all.
    Sometimes some had a problem because they also have a passive digitizer, but because the HP2710p does not have one I don't see any problem for you.
    Just make sure that you've removed any older pen driver prior.

3. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

What do you mean by "older pen drivers"? The tablet is new. How do I remove the eventual older pen drivers? Will the pen work after having removed them?

4. Frank

With older pen drivers I meant the HP pen drivers. After removing those pen drivers (if installed at all) the pen could still work, because the Windows Vista standard drivers are used then.
    Maybe a few 2710p users with Vista installed can give you a detailed explanation on how to install the Wacom drivers.
    But I don't think you can 'damage' anything. In the worst case it does not work properly, then you can remove the Wacom pen drivers again and remove the installed pen driver from the device manager, so Windows installs the standard drivers again.

5. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. I installed the wacom drivers and apparently they works, but the pressure sensitivity is very bad with light pressures (and good for heavy pressures). In some programs (as artrage) it behaves like if it had just 3 pressure levels (I'm not sure but it is possible that artrage worked better before the drivers installation). Maybe I need a wacom pen to see the drivers work properly?

6. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen you have IS a wacom pen (from the penenabled group). There's still something going on.

By the way an intuous pen etc will not work with your digitiser.

Gordon

7. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

Photoshop is notoriously bad with this. For me, sometimes when I start it up, it has no sensitivity at all and I have to re-open it.

You don't have to worry about Sketchbook because it uses its own drivers and will have pressure sensitivity even when Wacom drivers fail.

8. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wandering if these pens could give better performances. I'm very surprised by how my old wacom tablet (graphire 2) works much better than my tablet pc. Actually there is a difference (512 Vs 256 pressure levels) but I don't think it is enought to justify such a gap in the performances. It seems that my Tablet PC pen does not smoothly go from pressure level 0 to - say- 50, it seems to make a jump from 0 to 50 in a second and then the other levels are reached smootly. To avoid this problem I am forced to set the pressure sensitivity at the minimum in the control panel.
    Could it depend on the hardware? Is there any software which allows better calibration of the pressure sensitivity? My wacom graphire control panel allowed a much deeper calibration of the sensitivity while my tablet PC wacom drivers just have a single slider! :|

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Frank

You could play around with the offset value: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=25816

If you search in the the forums then you see a lot of comparison between tablet pen and Cintiq pen, between tablet PC and graphic tablet. They don't really show a difference. Just search for them. So something seems to be wrong with your settings. Try to set it to a harder tip in the Wacom settings and improve the pressure sensitivity in Photoshop later. Maybe this will give you better results.

10. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much, that is interesting... however the real and still unsolved problem here is that wacm does not provide any serious software to calibrate the pressure sensitivity. The controls given by the control panel, including the offset selection, are definitely not comparable to the controls given by the control panel of my old wacom graphire 2. What is lacking is in particular the possibility to customize a the curve which relates the pressure imput with the output. It wouldn't be difficult tu build such a software and I can't really understand why wacom didn't make it for their drivers.