No pen in slate mode

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by craigt, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

Lately, (can't recall what I installed that could have caused it), the pen is unusable in slate mode. It works fine in laptop mode until it clicks into place as a slate. The pen cursor just disappears. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

what PC do you have? and maybe you should try a system restore (go back to an earlier time), to see if you can locate the culprit.

3. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, I'm so used to being in the Lenovo thread that I didn't think to post my system.

I have a Lenovo X61 tablet. I haven't yet tried doing a restore. I uninstalled a couple programs and it came back for a few minutes, then I lost it again. No pen once again.

4. DRTigerlilly

had you tried installing the wacom drivers for the pen, or you just left it as detected by the system?

5. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed a few drivers from Lenovo, but let Windows choose the rest. Since it seemed to work fine 'out of the box' I left it alone. You don't happen to know offhand where to find the appropriate Wacom driver, do you? I'll see if I can find it.

I found and downloaded the Wacom tablet PC driver. Is there any reason not to try it out?

6. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I installed the Wacom driver, but to no avail. What's odd is that, now, I get pen recognition sometimes while in slate mode, but not always. Sometimes it just ignores the pen as soon as it snaps in.

I'd like to re-install the correct drivers in the right order. Does any other Lenovo x61 user happen to remember in what order they installed which drivers? We should also be sure to get a thread up once the RC is out to everyone.

7. DRTigerlilly

i don't think the driver order really matters, the only reason it would make a difference was if there was some kind of conflict.

That said i'm on the Windows drivers vs the drivers from Wacoms site and don't have this problem, i'm inclined to think its likely something you installed afterward, or did you tweak any of the services or startup programs?

8. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't mess with any startup programs or services. I did allow Windows to install everything it found on its own, then added a few Thinkpad drivers, and finally the Wacom driver you mentioned.

Maybe I'll try to uninstall the Thinkpad and Lenovo drivers and let Windows try to fill in the blanks.

I forgot to mention that when the pen quits working I can pop the screen up an inch or so and it works again. Usually, once it's down again it stop working once more.

9. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

Once I removed the Wacom drivers and let Windows do its thing, everything in Device Manager that was once "Wacom ..." is now "Virtual ...", i.e.
    Virtual Keyboard Driver
    Virtual Keyboard Interface
    Virtual Media Keys

with the first two entries showing up twice. I also don't have a TIP. It's as if Windows is treating the pen as a mouse only.

10. DRTigerlilly

and at the point that you've raised the screen, it hasn't switched the rotation or anything? I'd be much more inclined to do a fresh install, and try to troubleshoot the issue that way, but i can entirely understand that may not be practical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.