no pen at login from sleep what do?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kwg06516, Dec 20, 2011.

1. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

Once or twice a week I have no working pen input at the login screen when coming back from sleep mode. This wasn't a problem because the touch input never failed. But lately I've stopped using the touch input because it interferes with most of the artsy programs I use. I've had to use a usb keyboard or mouse to get back on or lose all my work and possibly harm the machine with a hard shutdown.

Now that I'm traveling I don't have ready access to a usb keyboard or mouse which makes matters worse. So my questions are:

1. Why is this happening?

2. Is there anything I can do using only the case buttons to get the pen back or enter my password?

2. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

3. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

Try going into device manager and unchecking the "allow computer to put to sleep". Device manager>find the pen, go to properties, then power management tab. Uncheck the above mentioned box and see if that helps. Then let us know if it worked.

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

uncheck power saving to USB hub for pen as well

5. andreuha

andreuha Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem pretty much since I got this thing. A couple of times a week the pen will randomly stop working until I reboot the machine. Touch continues to function just fine so I just close what I'm doing and reboot.

This happens both coming out of sleep, screen-saver, and when I'm using it.
    Power saving already turned off to prevent both pen and touch from going away.

I want to say that the problem is w/ the "Generic USB Hub" because if I RDP into the tablet and disable/enable it the pen resumes functioning, but after I do that the digitizer no longer changes the X/Y coordinates accordingly when rotating the display (portrait mode).

6. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

I experienced the issue too.

I too disabled the option that lets the driver put the devices to sleep.

It's clearly a driver issue (IMO).

Perhaps we should let asus know and hope they make a fix for it.

7. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

I checked the power settings on the Wacom Pen device. "Allow computer to turn off device" was not checked. "Allow this device to wake computer" was grayed and could not be checked. The device is located on USB Port_#0003.Hub_#0003 which does not appear in the list under USB controllers that have power management:

Generic USB Hub: Port_#0001.Hub_#0001
    Generic USB Hub: Port_#0001.Hub_#0002
    Standard USB Host Controller: Port_#0001.Hub_#0004

They were all checked for "Allow computer to turn off device" so I unchecked them all. We'll see, I guess.

8. andreuha

andreuha Pen Pal - Newbie

I have noticed that this has only occurred during/immediately after handling. For instance, if I plop it down on a bed or on couch as I do when coming home after work, this happens more or less repeatably.

Attempts to troubleshoot by making modifications to the way the hardware & driver are handled by the OS didn't change anything, my guess is that's because the connection is interrupted in a way which requires the USB hub to be reset (likely a poorly placed lead on the PCB or the ribbon shorting somewhere). This has happened before with the sound, where holding the device in some ways would interrupt the audio-out - after having that daughter-board replaced in RMA the problem is largely improved but still persists and happens if I squeeze the device slightly (i.e. by holding it) around the audio jack. I think this stems from poorly thought out design-engineering on Asus's part.

For what it's worth, this makes two out of four personal Asus machines which I've had to RMA due to major issues arising from poor design and component selection (I don't keep track of machines at work or people I know, but it feels like a noteworthy fraction of the machines have some kind problem). It was the crumbling/disintegration of an overheated power jack, aforementioned audio issue, and yellowing of the display panel on this EP121. My C90s had a crack develop in the mainboard's PCB (!), caused by a poorly placed block of battery contacts which was mounted directly to the mainboard and slightly out of alignment from the battery well (resulting in stress every each I had replaced the battery). I also have an eeePC with the same problem of an ill-fitting battery but no failures yet (probably because I don't use it). Suffice it to say that Asus will not be considered for future IT purchase decisions, even if it does happen to be the only one on the market with a device in an ideal form-factor as it was a year ago with this slate.