No need for goofy upside down action: A proper 17.3" 2 in 1 with Active Pen from Dell!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Mar 22, 2018.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I completely forgot about that!

-Having spent all my screen time in economy-class ppi ranges without really thinking too much about it, I.., don't think about it. Doobie's point previously is salient.

Though, I wouldn't mind working on a machine with a super high ppi to see what it's actually like sometime...

2. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

In all honesty, I wouldn't want a 1080p display even on a 12 incher.
    My Galaxy Book 12 is so much more crystal clear compared to the 13.3" at 1920x1080 of the Cintiq Companion (without screen protector) that I can't imagine how anyone would like to work on a 15 or 17 inches display with such poor resolution.
    Even the qhd resolution of the Cintiq 27 was something ugly to look at, where you can't even distinguish the texture of the pencil you're using when drawing.

Basically a 200+ ppi screen makes a lot of difference and it's not a matter of being able to see the single pixels or not.

YVerloc, thatcomicsguy and dellaster like this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

True, but remember also that whether an (insert insane marketing number here) high resolution screen is 6 inches or 60 the number of pixels remember the same if the resolution is the same in number between the two devices.

There is a point where diminishing returns cannot be ignored.

5. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Totally agree! I put in an order for it but had it cancelled by the seller. It looks like owners had panel issues that could not be solved. Lenovo quietly withdrew the touch screen option for the P70. Sad.

6. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

As the article concludes, there is indeed a point beyond which it's questionable if higher resolution is worth it with today's technology. It won't catch on, but using PPD (pixel per degree) as the article does is better--it's not dependent upon how large the screen is, whether 6" or 60".

There's a reason magazines and such require only 300dpi for photos, but 1200dpi or more for line art.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I know that high res is nice to see, but I’ve never minded 1080p on my 14” screen. It’s adequate for Office and browsing, and all my programs, and perfectly fine for movie watching. I’m not sure what I’d think of that res on a 17” machine, but, of course, that’s also why it’s supposed to get 11+ hours of battery life. I mean- my retina display is lovely on my phone, but I’d hate to get only 6 hours of battery life, or some such thing, on the laptop because I had a high res screen.

The shame to me is that you’ve got this gigantic beast of a machine and there’s no silo. Also, you could fit much better speakers in there because the housing could be so much bigger.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I used Cintiq 22HD at a work place for 6 months last year. Never once I thought I needed higher resolution. It's a 1080p 22" monitor. I will be more than fine with 17" 1080p monitor, even at drawing distances.

For those who can see the difference, enjoy your youth while you have it. After 45, it won't matter much lol.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

True but as 99.999% of the world around us is colour, reproducing that world on screen is again going to quickly meet diminishing returns from higher technology.

I have spent the week with a 4K 16inch EDIT* "Wacom" screen and while the drawing experience has been great, the actual screen seems overkill - especially when all the effort of making such a screen then has a "dulling down" etched glass cover over it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  10. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

22hd? Pshaw. I’m still rocking my 2005 21UX. I don’t need 200+ dpi to do my work, obv. But no way am I buying a new machine without it. 47 year old eyeballs too.