No need for goofy upside down action: A proper 17.3" 2 in 1 with Active Pen from Dell!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...b-hard-drive-era-gray/6114305.p?skuId=6114305

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-2...-state-drive-era-gray/6114301.p?skuId=6114301

http://laptopmedia.com/review/dell-...-17-7779-with-a-brand-new-hardware-and-price/

[​IMG]

8550U quad core i7, 16GB of RAM (up to 32GB). 2TB HDD or 512GB SSD (could be NVMe or 2.5" SATA because it has both slots), GeForce MX150 2GB, and 17.3" IPS with MPP panel for $1100 or 1300!

Finally, 17.3" 2 in 1s with pen is a thing! Praise Beelzebub!!

Who wants to take a plunge and report back?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    YVerloc, Kumabjorn, Selofain and 3 others like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If it's under 3 lbs I'll buy it! Kidding aside, impressive machine for a surprisingly low price.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ugh. This could have been SUCH a cool computer!

There seems to be some confusion as to which model supports Windows Ink. Apparently it was in the early literature, but then pulled..? Maybe some versions do and some don't? (Delllllll! Come on! Be clear!)

Anyway, here's all the posts in the Best Buy review section which mention the pen:

~~~

"When i stared to configure the Bamboo Ink, it detected the pen but I'm not able to "write" with it. I went back to the store to see if I was doing something wrong and a sales person was trying to trouble shoot it with me. After about 30 minutes, he then found out that Bamboo Ink is not supported on this device. I returned the Bamboo Ink."

~~~~~~

"Well, as it turns out, this particular model is NOT compatible with any active stylus pens, even though it clearly says so even on this web site under the system's specifications and displays a Windows Ink logo right on top of the product features."

~~~~~~

"I like the touch screen and tablet options. Getting the pen does make some funtions earier."

~~~~~~
    "Cannot use Windows Ink or a pen with this laptop! Very disappointed with Dell for not making this common feature available. With options on other laptops, would consider another brand that does offer this feature."

(The Dell tech support response:

We understand your frustrations but Dell does offer several models that are compatible with Windows Ink and that are sold by Best Buy. Here is a link to these models if this is a feature that you are still looking for in a new computer - http://bit.ly/2DHgmHj. We hope this helps with the functionality that you are looking for. - Bryan)

~~~~~~

For $1200, I might be thinking about picking up one of those alternative Cintiqs. Or even an actual Cintiq. But a 17" Windows Ink 2-in-1..? How great would that be for a portable drafting board?

4. thatcomicsguy

Yeah. Sadly, it looks like Dell messed up its early marketing. They promised a computer with active stylus support, and didn't deliver.

Here's a forum thread...

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Active-pen-for-inspiron-7000-17-quot-7773-2in1/td-p/5916814

That sucks. Though, I don't exactly know why I was excited. I'm not an AES fan and I already have the portable which will be serving me for the next few years. But 17" of digital canvas you can take with you? That would be pretty awesome! And it's not like it couldn't work; Shog's upsidedown machine is proof! Why don't people make these? It seems like such an obvious move.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since we know now that 17.3" MPP panels exist for sure, I think it's possible that some i7333 do have the panel. Hp Envy from the other thread was same situation in that ONLY ONE of the Best Buy model has MPP while others only have plain multi touch panel.

There 's an easy way to find out if it is penabled. Go to Best Buy and test it! I can't today but my local stores have it so I will make it out sometime this week.

thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

I nearly bought this model a couple weeks ago and my research strongly suggested it did not use an active pen. That's one of the reasons why I ended up with a Surface Book first generation.

7. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo's foray with the 17" active digitizer panel in the P70 didn't fare too well, sadly.

8. thatcomicsguy

The P70 was in a class all its own!

It struck me as a machine where nothing was left out. "Power it ALL the way up. Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Seat Warmers and.., add that Wacom thing while you're at it."

Was it really a flop? It seemed like it would be perfect for certain users who wanted RAW power and lots of it. (Not so much for artists.)

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  9. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

1080p lol. It’s like wagon wheels on a Ferrari.

thatcomicsguy and Azzart like this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At some point very soon, it's all just marketing and there is no real gain for the consumer.

If you have pretty good eyesight, 4K is not really needed for a 15-19 inch monitor - 2K will be perfect for someone with 20/20 vision sitting at normal distance from the screen. 4K is the ideal size for 20-30 inch monitors and then 5K+ for larger screens.

4K screens on a 15-19 inch monitor would be for most people with 20/13 to 20/17 eyesight.

Sorry for being boring - my partner is an optician technical assistant!

thatcomicsguy likes this.