No N jn wireless card

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Solom01, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solom01

Solom01 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, although I love my Tm2, I've noticed since I got it that the Wifi seemed to be operating at G speeds even though I have an N router. I had a Tx2 prior to this and it was connecting to my Linksys router at N speeds every time. In order to test this I switched my router to N ony mode instead of mixed. My Nexus One cell phone had no problem connecting but the Tm2 immediately dropped the connection and couldn't connect until I switched the router back to mixed mode, where it promptly connected in G again. As far as I could tell I have N enabled on the laptop. I tried calling HP for support, but I got someone who kept saying that the Tm2 wasn't N capable - mind you this was the touchsmart line. Is anyone else having this problem or is there something really simple I'm missing? I still have time to send it back - I hate to do that when it could probably be solved if I could get tech support from someone who spoke English better, but I guess that's my next step. Thanks.

2. TM2user

TM2user Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I've got the same problem. When I use my hp tx2510 it recognizes my N router but when I have my tm2 side by side it doesn't see the N router. It says on the tm2 box that my model comes with a wireless card that was N capable. I cant figure out what has been going on but I guess I will also try HP support to see what they say but I don't think that will help much either. Please let me know if you have any update. Thanks

3. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First, what wireless card is actually in your computer (you can find this in the device manager)?

4. TM2user

TM2user Pen Pal - Newbie

Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n network adapater is what it says in the device manager

5. TM2user

TM2user Pen Pal - Newbie

Just spent a 2hrs with HP support and was a complete waste of time. They tried to keep telling me that it was a problem with my NETGEAR router even though my hp tx2510 could get a N connection no problem. So pointless if anybody has any ideas please help me out THANKS

6. Solom01

Solom01 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all. After getting completely worthless advice from HP support the first two times I finally found a support agent who helped me fix it. My card by the way is the intel BGN and I had tried just about every driver that exists. My Linksys 300N router was set to WEP security. I know that's weak, but where I live security isn't much of an issue. It never occurred to me that this would be a problem since no other computer (including my old HP tx2) had an issue with it. Anyhow, as soon as we turned off security it connected in n only mode. That was great but I still wanted some security and for whatever reason it will work if you set it to wep2 (personal) - so problem fixed although we still have no idea why it wouldn't work with just wep but, instead, default to g. I realize that G is fine for surfing the web, but I have an HP mediasmart server and 4 other computers running wireless n and slowing down the whole system to leave it in mixed mode was not an option. I would suggest that anyone having this problem first try turning off security and, if it works, tring to see what security will work. On an aside, my experience with hP support was horrendous. 1st call the gentleman kept saying that my computer did not have an n capable card, even though it is impossible to buy any version of the tm2 without it. On the second call they suggested it was the router's fault, even though all my other computers and my nexus one cell phone had no issues with it. Nonetheless, I called Linksys and they promptly said it was a problem with the tm2. My third call got me some lady who insisted on sending me to the home office department (although I told her this was a consumer touchsmart) because my serial number started with a c. They, of course, promptly booted me back to the so-called touchsmart experts. I don't mean to sound ugly or racist, but all my previous calls to the touchsmart tech support were routed to a Canadian call center where the people seemed very well versed in the touchsmart laptops. I know they save money using the Indian call center but since I am still within the 21 day period they almost got back a machine simply by trying to save a few bucks in tech support. It's a shame; it's a great machine, a fantastic value and i expect for there to be a few issues with any new Windows machine, but until HP learns that saving a few bucks by sending support offshore is a false economy I just can't recommend their products to anyone. Had it not been for the fact that I'm fairly knowledgable about computers and I finally found an agent who was smart and willing to try to help (although it was clear that he had no clue what a tm2 was) I would have sent this sucker back. As is I spent 3 hours of my life with this. Hope this helps some of the rest of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.