No more Toshiba?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

They are actually older than ever, they used to be young in the 80's, but they were just as conservative then. Corporate culture in Japan is like the samurai clans of the 16th century. Middle managers today are only concerned with one thing, their future pensions.

The Young Turks you'll find in the gaming industry. Or they work as independents.

Balbutio ergo sum

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, the golden parachute. What a wonderful invention of modern capitalism...I'm guessing even the managers responsible for Toshiba's downfall get a full set of those too.

So like...you are surrounded by old fogies all day? :p What's an adventuresome girl like you do for excitement around the office, haha.

But seriously, if there's no young people joining the mainstream workforce...what does that mean for Japanese economy in 20 years?

Is it just going to be doujin conventions, anime and visual novels? (not that I'm complaining) :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not so much a golden parachute as just biding their time. If they are let go at this point their "golden parachute" is limited to their earned pension. In Japan you get three kind of pensions, a basic from the guvernement, an added from your employer and a cash retirement payment (this can be like a $1.000.000 if you worked for a successful corporation. This last one is all you'd receive and it would probably have one zero less if you have less than 20 years in the firm.

As you are probably aware, the Japanese no longer are interested in sex, so there are a lot less young people entering the labor market every year. My first employer in Japan, a large retailer, took in 450 new employees the year I joined, I met a friend a few months ago and she told me they took in 80 last year. Young people that a free spirits or divergent thinkers are no longer interested in joining the big corporations. So they get sub/par employees no longer having creative thoughts. If you look at the electronics industry you'd have a hard time pointing to anything new and creative from that field the last ten years. They'd much rather work for Studio Ghibli than Mitsubishi Motors.