No More Surface Tablets?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think Microsoft should just dump the "RT" Surface Line and focus solely on the Pro line.

2. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

I have had a (relatively) great experience with our Nokia 2520 devices. Aside from it being RT, that is. (I have nothing against RT - this is just a "customer reaction" thing.) I'd love to see a 10" class Bay Trail/Cherry Trail version with 3:2 (15:10), 4GB and active pen! The 2520 has about the best screen for outdoor work, shy of some of our (much) more expensive & heavier ruggedized devices. That said, the screen on the Samsung S tablets is pretty sweet.

Just my 2¢...

-Randall Garrett-

/end/

Bronsky likes this.
  3. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

The most reasonable thing would be to keep lumia as a brand for windows phone, win rt, or what replaces them ( threshold mobile?), and maintain surface for the full windows experience (threshold pro?).

Their respective OSs shouldn't be so similar aesthetically, to avoid confusion for casual consumers. Win rt should look more like wp.

What I hope is that they don't remove the desktop in any OS. Just keep it hidden for casual consumers products, with a toggle.

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I agree with Sven. I'd like to see the Lumia name be the umbrella for Microsoft's Windows RT devices, while Surface is kept for standard Windows models. This would help prevent customers inadvertently purchasing WinRT computers when they actually want something that runs the x86 version of Windows.

Microkia may have already signed that this is the plan when Nokia released the Lumia 2520, a Windows RT-based tablet.

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd rather say that all three OSses should be as similar aesthetically as possible. To avoid confusion. It decreases the learning curve of the OS. If you're used to working on Windows 8.1, you would be able to use RT or Phone without even thinking about it and vice versa. Which it is rather nicely already, I'd say (considering the respective average screen sizes...)

gcoupe likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My bet is on Sven - Nokia/Lumia for RT devices (I think Windows Phone 8 will be merged into a single unified OS with the current RT for all sub 10" devices) and Surface for the business class devices.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Maybe the end of Surface after all? The absence of any explicit mention of Surface doesn't seem good:

Microsoft CEO Nadella: 'We will reinvent productivity' | ZDNet

(Courtesy of ZDNet site)

Paul Therrott adds this:

"Device OS and hardware. Here's the client side of what used to be the client/server infrastructure. He calls Windows the "Windows device OS" and refers to first party hardware (i.e. Surface/Lumia) as setting the bar ... for productivity experiences. (Again, the focus is on productivity.) "Windows will deliver the most rich and consistent user experience for digital work and life scenarios on screens of all sizes – from phones, tablets and laptops to TVs and giant 82 inch PPI boards," he writes. "Windows is the most secure, manageable and capable OS for the needs of a modern workforce and IT. Windows will ... enable Universal Windows Applications to run across all device targets. Windows will evolve to include new input/output methods like speech, pen and gesture and ultimately power more personal computing experiences." Nothing surprising, but it's a very big tent when you lay it out like that. But this bit I don't quite get: "We will responsibly make the market for Windows Phone, which is our goal with the Nokia devices and services acquisition." Make the market?"

(Courtesy of WinSuperSite site)

But notice that the mention of Surface was added by Therrott as he tries to "read between the lines" of Nadella's message. Certainly Nadella doesn't come out in support of Surface the way he clearly and positively endorsed xBox...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nadella does explicitly mention Surface:

The full text, if anyone hasn't seen it:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/ceo/index.html

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    dstrauss likes this.
  9. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

I would hope MS isn't short sighted enough to retreat from hardware especially in an area where they are king. he talks about creating a market around windows phone, if you stopped letting panoys say the surface is a laptop and just called it a 'tablet pc' you'd have instantly defined your own market and coined a better term than lapability.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I read the whole letter and I honestly don't think that they're even changing their strategy much. There might be layoffs and reorganization and such (especially after the large number of employees acquired from Nokia), true.

However, I just don't see any different in strategy from Ballmer's "Devices and Services" mantra to the text I quoted above from Nadella.

The wording and messaging describing that strategy has been tweaked, as it always will be under a new CEO. The (publicly announced, at least) course still appears to be the same though.

Osiris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.