No idle timeout or temp shutdown at bios fingerprint screen? (Elite X2)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Ispcolohost, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Ispcolohost

Ispcolohost Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, just had an upsetting experience with my Elite X2. I carry it in a soft case, and apparently had bumped the case in the right way for it to have the power button pushed and turn itself on, even though the travel keyboard was attached and closed. I have the device set up for fingerprint auth, so you get that plain white screen asking you to auth when it's turned on.

However that functionality is implemented, perhaps DOS, probably does some type of loop that has the cpu operating at 100%, no timeout, and no regard for whether or not the keyboard is closed. What ended up happening is several hours later I noticed my soft case was very warm, so I open it up and there's the tablet on the fingerprint screen and the case was just under the threshold of being too hot to touch. I gave it a fingerprint, windows opens up and the thing was so hot that the touch screen was malfunctioning. I turned it back off and let it cool down, then it began working again normally, but had gone from 100% charge to 10% in the span of two or three hours.

In any case, does anyone know if there's a way to make that screen time out and turn back off? I haven't been able to find a method to do that. Additionally, is there no high temp auto shut off? This thing was really cooking itself. I hope it hasn't damaged or shortened the lifespan of any of the components after baking for three hours.

2. Ispcolohost

So I open a ticket with HP about this. Rather than respond with any information whatsoever, I just get a repair service order:

No response of any type to tell me yes this should not be occurring, or have you checked setting X and Y, just hey, send us your tablet. So no idea if this really should not be happening and they think something is wrong, or just someone not doing any research and is going to have me send it in for no reason.

3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

I found mine cooking twice in my bag on one trip. Still don't know how it happened, but your scenario of the power button getting hit might be the ticket.

Heat usually shortens the life of a battery. Although I don't have any evidence that my two cooking episodes resulted in any loss of life.

I do have issues now with the computer locking up under a heavy workload. Batteries aren't the only components that lose life when subjected to a high thermal event.

4. Ispcolohost

Ah, thanks for the reply, it's good to at least know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I think I'll try to find someone there to talk to me before just blindly sending the tablet in for what would probably be no reason.