Nice Video of the EP121

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kamikaze458, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimbosliced

kimbosliced Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly the iPad is an entertainment device more so than a mobile pc like the ep121.

2. oztabletpc

oztabletpc Tablet PC Since 2003

Are you a journalist? If so I could understand that your quote dropped the most important "Personally I think" from my statement because you might get paid to misinform! :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's what I look for in a tablet, have done for 8 years now. Therefore that statement is TRUE, not false as you assert.

Personally, I have little interest in devices that are designed to keep the masses dumb and unproductive - Xbox, PS3, Wii, now iPad no matter how successful they are. I couldn't care less how many people bought any of those things...

You are right though that comparisons are completely unnecessary for these devices, but they are unfortunately inevitable.

3. AllenPapapetrou

AllenPapapetrou Scribbler - Standard Member

What is a "tablet"? I came to the EP121 from Android, iPad tablets, and the Archos 9 Windows tablet. At the time I understood a tablet to be a totally self-contained touch screen computer w/o an attached physical keyboard.

Last year I became aware of two primary personal computer usage modalities: Consume and Create (or Productive). My tablets were fine for Consume mode but not Create mode. Android and Apple iPad didn't have the tools, and my Archos 9 was too slow. So I searched.

I found that some Windows "tablet" makers were producing very expensive Create mode tablets (Motion Computers, etc.) and others were producing "tablets" with attached keyboards where the touch display flipped to cover the keyboard.

Last fall/winter I finally saw Windows Create tablets come out, or announced, in my price range. HP, Asus, and Fujitsu were making them and calling them "slates".

"Why call them 'slates'?", I asked myself. The answer became apparent: They don't have attached keyboards and some Windows "tablets" may have attached keyboards.

My conclusions from my research:
    1. "Tablets" may or may not have an attached keyboard.
    2. "Slates" never have an attached keyboard.
    3. So far all Android and Apple "tablets" are "slates".
    4. Only some Windows "tablets" are "slates".

From my perspective both species5618w and oztabletpc are correct: The iPad is both, not a tablet, and is a tablet. As for replacing paper: That will happen only when I can wad a tablet into a tight little ball and toss it in the waste basket or put a tablet in a paper shredder.

More to the point: I found that Android, and Apple slates are designed for Consume PC usage and some Windows slates are designed for Create PC usage.

Allen

4. Hawkz19

Hawkz19 Pen Pal - Newbie

The iPad is a toy, the EP121 Slate is a tool. That is essentially what it comes down to. iPad is a toy with some of the cool features of the more powerful and productive machines. People primarily use it to play games and entertain themselves, and if it lets them look at a map, find food, or take notes every once and a while all the better. It is like any new technology that at some time is cutting edge and expensive, and only used by researchers and professionals. And then eventually that tech gets advanced enough and cheap enough that it can be targeted towards consumers and then we get...furbies, or an iPad. The slate is for artists, professionals, and the tech geeks who actually know what they are talking about. AllenPapapetrou said its about consume or create and I absolutely agree. There was a time when I thought about getting an iPad, and I couldn't justify it as much as a tried because I wanted it mostly to play games and because I already had an iPhone. But then after extensive research I discovered the EP121. I'm an artist and I hadn't drawn anything of consequence in months. With the slate I am now drawing something almost every day. Consume or create.

5. oztabletpc

AllenPapapetrou I had a little chuckle when I read your line about tossing your tablet in the shredder! But hey, that's what the eraser on the back of the pen is for! ;-)

And to set record straight, I have an iPad. Got it in the madness of the first week about a year ago now... I am not saying that it is not a tablet. Far from it. What I am saying is that it's not my kind of tablet... Hence my offence at the misquote.

Hawkz19, I'm really impressed to hear that the EP121 has inspired you to create. My tablets have inspired me to learn to draw better too. I would not profess to being at all graphically creative, but I have been hitting some "learn to draw" websites and videos of late with a view to doing better than stick figures... Lots of fun! Anyway, great to hear that EP121 has re-invigorated your creativity...

6. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless you were paid by Apple or Asus, I'd imagine that everything you said was your personal opinion, so I am not sure why "personally I think" was so important. You stated a personal opinion and I pointed out your opinion was wrong. If you had said "I need a tablet device to replace paper in MY life", then it would have made more sense.

As for "designed to keep the masses dumb and unproductive", all of the devices you listed could be used to watch youtube, where your video is hosted. Actually, I'd say the iPad is a far better tool than the EP121 for watching your video. I am not sure whether that's "designed to keep the masses dumb and unproductive".

7. oztabletpc

8. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had an ipad for 10 days. I couldnt open 10 youtube videos, to leave them loading so when i came back i could watch them to my will.

I can do that with a windows tablet.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Finally got around to uploading part 2 of this video...>>

Brett: Great job!

10. kimbosliced

kimbosliced Pen Pal - Newbie

As a medical student, I'd also have to add that this product is a must for medical school and/or college. Most professors now basically feed us information in PDF/PPT form and with one note and a pen I can mark them up as if they were printed out. So instead of having literally 5k pages printed out (like last semester), this semester I've barely had to print anything. Great for the environment and great for students!

If you know any aspiring college or medical student, tell them to look earnestly at this device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.