Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Boy, would guys have hung that slip of the tongue on me if I'd made it...

2. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

The 148 PPI makes the Laptop Go a no-go for me. You have to go back to 2012 and the original Surface RT to find such a low PPI Surface. Why not use the existing 12.3” Surface Pro panels instead of this new 12.4” panel? I’d imagine that manufacturing costs for the SP panel have come down after several years of continuous production, not to mention better volume pricing since it the most popular Surface. I guess they wanted the rounded corners? Seems like a strange cost-benefit analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know, every time there is new product/rumor thread, we should create an additional "will they or wont they" with over and under thread. I can think of several of the "horses" here. :p:D

And I guess now all we have left to discuss for the year is the new iPhones...

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nah, just add it as a poll to the thread itself...

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Don't forget the Apple Silicon Mac.

Microsoft hasn't really unveiled anything that captivates my interest in buying. I'm kind of bummed they didn't even offer a Platinum colored Slim Pen. New Pro X color & colored keyboard options, but again no love at all to the Slim pen.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No slip of the tongue here. I'm interested in the folding designs. I can see a future fold or duo, depending on how well they are developed.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's even more annoying is the they are calling it a Chromebook competitor.... Seriously???

Price wise it's close to the the price of the Pixelbook Go (and sort of shares a name) but seriously, the Pixelbook Go like the Pixelbook before it has sold in minuscule numbers compared to the big sellers such as the Samsung Chromebook 11.6 or Acer Chromebook 11.6 which typically sell thousands of devices in the $250 or under range,

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/10/microsoft-just-introduced-the-new-549-surface-laptop-go/

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

For an Office warrior with data files on OneDrive it will be perfectly functional. Bett they are aiming this at corporate clients.

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, because the Go 2 is a tablet and hence people tend to keep it closer to their eyes. It is a bit like how phones have high resolutions too (even midrange ones) even though they have much smaller screens.

, on my Pro1 (secondary machine for notes, entertainment etc) the 128 gb storage is more limiting than the 4 gb ram. For some Cloud users I can see 64 gb work. The Go Laptop lacks a microsd card so the amount of storage is definitely something to keep in mind if someone wants to buy this.

, yeah indeed. Also why not actually give this a 360 degree hinge with its size and low weight? Does MS think it otherwise would cannibalize their tablet sales?

At that Liliputing link someone mentions "1) The bottom of this laptop will be plastic, not the awesome alloy you expect.", is this really true?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    DRTigerlilly likes this.