Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

JoeS likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've got a GREAT idea (drumroll please)...

just give us a slim pen docked keyboard for the real Pro series and call it a day...

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

daddyfish and desertlap like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been chatting with a couple of my senior exec about MS recent moves this morning and we are all a bit confused as to what MS aims and focus are.

This new Laptop Go really looks to be the most consumer oriented surface product yet. But the Go line generally has had far greater success in the business channels to date, though the Go2 has improved things on that front.

OTOH the duo seems clearly targeted at the core Surface base of users (and succeeds IMHO) with the bonus of pulling in some MS centric companies that were looking for a better integrated solution than the iPhone and/or wouldn't consider a Samsung for a variety of reasons.

And you have the Pro X which MS seems to be extremely muddled on who it's for. And I've sat in on some MS presentations to some of our largest customers and watched MS struggle with questions around why they should buy this over the standard pro.

The lines that still make the most sense to me are the Pro's, laptops and the Studio with possibly the Book hitting a somewhere in between.

Speaking definitely from my one little corner of the world it's getting harder to have a cohesive statement.

PS: Absolutely a rumor of the highest level, but MS killing the NEO today may be a bit of a head fake to relaunch as a larger version of the duo including Android based and definitely with a new name. That's based on several clue though including code contributions that MS has made that supports devices that don't currently exist and/or with larger displays

dstrauss and darkmagistric like this.
  5. desertlap

Thanks, Most helpful!

BTW: What's your source on that ? I get the intel source, but I only see at this point an i5 option but it doesn't specify which I5 precisely from MS though that chip would seem the logical choice.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. desertlap

One last comment. They definitely are following the Apple playbook in marketing these things... I.E the step up model is with one you really want

dstrauss likes this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

https://www.theverge.com/21496684/microsoft-surface-laptop-go-price-release-date-specs

dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If the res is so pointless, then why does the 10.5 inch Surface Go 2 have a higher Resolution? I’m not arguing for the Laptop Go to have a 4K screen or anything, but the HD 1080P standard is kind of the base standard for a while now, even among the budget crowd. Fact is, this is the lowest resolution Surface device since the Atom based Surface 3.

Lower resolutions look noticeable worse the larger the screen size. Comparing the low res on the Laptop Go to a lower Res iPhone is not an equivalent comparison. Higher resolutions are far less important on a 5 or 6 inch sized phone. As anyone who has had hands on time the Cintiq 16 & 22 (non Pro) both sizes with the 1080p res, the 22’s screen is downright hideous compared to the 16 inch model simple because of the resolution. And as someone who has had a fair share of android tablets in varying res, the original 10 inch Tab A with S-Pen didn’t opt for a HD res and it similarly had a hideous screen. And yes there are ways to compensate for a lower res, as Samsung more or less did with the Galaxy Book Flex, but is Microsofts going to put those same efforts into a Budget device when literally the simplest course of action would be to just increase the res?

Bumping the resolution down from what should have been 1920x1280 to a 1536x1024 would be a noticeable change even on a 10-inch device, but will certainly be apparent when its stretched across a 12.4 inch display. And while that may save a tiny bit of battery life and CPU strain, the return would be marginal at best.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So why hasn’t Microsoft dropped the price of the base level model? The lower end configs of the Pro 7 have hit $599-$799...The Pro X at best has been around $850 at the lowest. If they still have ample supply of their original production run, a $599 or $699 sale price would be the best way to clear the stock.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Have to agree with you on both points (even though I am not an owner yet).