Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

+1 to BOTH of Steve's comments...

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm assuming with the Pro X they just haven't sold through enough of the low end stock to use up all of the SQ1 inventory, and that's why they're keeping it around.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This also pretty much confirms what we heard earlier about the Pro 8. ie. not coming until sometime in 2021

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Huh. In that case they're weirdly implicit about it. You'd think if you bring a budget laptop to market with a 'pro' feature, you'd be shouting that from the rooftops.

5. desertlap

I've been wondering about that as well. There is a dearth of technical info on the SQ2 but I can't imagine that it's that much more expensive on a per unit basis than the SQ1 is.

OTOH we heard about a month back that MS still had not sold through the original production runs of the base level Pro X models.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

This announcement makes me even more secure in my Surface Go 2 decision (although that i5 processor might be nice).

Now, Panos, bring us the SG3 with 16gb/512gb option and 11" screen next year! Oh wait - that space is probably reserved for Neo...:D

7. desertlap

I'd be willing to wager serious money that will never happen, if you need performance you are buying a pro.:cool:

PS: we just heard that the i5 variant of the laptop go is somewhat neutered with not even iris graphics but bog level 500 series. That is 3rd hand info though, so possibly incorrect

8. dstrauss

@desertlap - I just couldn't bring myself to hit "Like" on your spot on anaylsis - but 500 series graphics just chocked me...also, on this same theme, ALWAYS read the lawyer induced fine print in these showy presentations...

Screenshot 2020-10-01 092841.png

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

10. desertlap

Agreed that the 500 series thing is pretty iffy, but I'm pretty confident that it's not any iris variant either.

PS: we are hearing just now that eval units will be going out in the next day or so, so we should get some answers fairly quickly.