Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Rumors are tomorrow

I just hope they have something more substantial then a Cheap laptop and Pro X 2.

From the rumor mill of what's been posted on the verge... the Laptop seems to have a kind of pathetically low resolution, lower then even the Go 2, which even for a budget laptop I feel is somewhat unacceptable. And the port selection...the same as we get on the regular laptop. Microsoft it seems is making a Surface Product that will likely excite very very few people. The only selling point it has is it will be more affordable.

laptop go rumor.JPG

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, I never really understood the appeal for a higher resolution than eg ~156 dpi (14 inch 1080p / full hd), which seems sharp to me and similar to this laptop , considering the Laptop Go is smaller. Any resolution higher than what you would practically notice is unnecessary and drains the battery & decreases performance / smoothness since more pixels need to be displayed.
    3:2 ratio, (quality of the) digitizer, good srgb/colors/contrast etc and max brightness seem more important values to me.

It reminds me of the flak the iPhone Xr got even though in reality it is a good screen.

Steve S and desertlap like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

+1 to this. There is sooooo much more to what goes in to making a good display,.Yes resolution does matter, up to a point, but things like pixel structure, contrast, color gamut, linearity all have large affects on the perceived quality.

Unfortunately there is a similar affiliation with camera resolution, eg. a blanket belief that a 20MP sensor is inherently superior to a 12MP when the reality is far more complex with again thing like accuracy and dynamic range and even the image post processing software having at least as large of an effect.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    daddyfish and Steve S like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

$550 for the 4GB/64GB model makes way more sense than those original prices that were rumored. I think 64GB is doable for people but that 4GB though is going to be limiting.

6. JoeS

Yeah I understand the need to hit a price point, but is the few dollars of savings really worth the performance hit? Or is it a clever business strategy to tempt people into the more expensive system?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...+1 to this. There is sooooo much more to what goes in to making a good display...>>

+1 to your +1...

<<...It's here: the "Laptop Go". And the updated Pro X...>>

Ho hum... And they're still going to offer the original Pro X, too...???

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  8. desertlap

I was ready to dismiss it at the original rumored $699 base price point but now I don't know. It sits in a weird "value proposition " space i.e it is hands down one of the lowest cost pen enabled laptops with the bonus for the corporate crowd of the surface connector

OTOH the 4GB RAM 64GB EMMC configuration is going to feel sluggish and I think it's going to be more acute with a laptop simply becasue of expectations . In other words they can get away with it to a degree with the GO2 because "it's a tablet" . But that price point you can get laptops with much faster SSDS for the same price.

Time will tell I guess, and the questions (or lack thereof) I get from our customers will be informative.

daddyfish likes this.
  9. JoeS

Does it support inking? I didn't see a pen in the promo video.

10. desertlap

According to the fluff we just got from MS "It's a full surface device in every way, at a great value price point"

So with all the risks associated with assuming... that to me says yes