Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, I remember Daniel from windows central mentioning it will all be ssd's, even the entry version.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I didn't see that. I hope you are correct.
    OTOH the NeoWin article that @Steve S linked seems to agree with what we have heard.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But will it though? There are no shortage of Windows laptops/ 2-in-1's in the $700-ish range, aside from the Surface Branding, what will this Laptop Go really have going for it?

The Apple Silicon Mac will hit a price point cheaper then any other Mac, it also represents a major change in software/hardware development for Apple, and will have allegedly 15 hours of Battery life and its able to run iPad apps. I'm sure Microsoft will still sell a ton of Laptop Gos, given how profitable the low end Surfaces have been in the corporate/enterprise markets, but I really don't think its gonna steal any thunder from the Macbook ASi.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. desertlap

So further checking within the admittedly rumor based eco system.

It appears that only the low end model with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage will be EMMC based, the higher storage options will be SSDs (albeit fairly low end) The reason is primarily economic eg. it's actually cheaper at the supply level to get a 128GB ssd model than an EMMC one; purely a function of supply for lower end laptops. The 64GB Emmc model is a similar story because of its prevalence in lower end cell phones.

That all being said, this still strikes me as an odd choice. I can see it selling to the same groups that trend toward the low end Surface Go. However I think it's at the expense of those sales versus expanding the overall pie.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the low end model with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage will be EMMC based, the higher storage options will be SSDs (albeit fairly low end) The reason is primarily economic eg. it's actually cheaper at the supply level to get a 128GB ssd model than an EMMC one...>>

???...

6. desertlap

Purely a volume thing. eg, they produce a bunch more of 64gb EMMC modules and 128GB SSDs. One source we use has a 128GB PCIE SSD drive for $11.00 less than a comparable 128GB EMMC in volumes of 1000 plus units.

BTW: There are technical reasons why you might want to choose EMMC anyway, primarily power consumption even though it costs more.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  7. daddyfish

, here c&p from this link ( https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-sparti-budget-clamshell-laptop ):

From the comment section:
    "naddy6969
    If that is a 64GB SSD, then OK. Still way too small for Windows, but at least it will be fast.

If it is ANOTHER friggin eMMC drive, then that is absurd. No one should be using eMMC drives in 2020. There is no reason at all. Seriously. How much are 64GB SSDs in quantity these days? $1? They are $15 new on eBay.

Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:46am
    [​IMG] Daniel Rubino
    It's an SSD."

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  8. desertlap

When I click on the lower link I get a page not found. The windows central article doesn't explicitly say one way or another, and I believe you, but it does contradict what are usually reliable (though not 100%) sources on our end

BTW: definitely nitpicking but even EMMC drives are SSD. It's just become shorthand to refer to other drive type with higher performance (including interface) as SSD.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  9. daddyfish

, you need to look in the comments, I thought that was clear since I c&p pasted the relevant comments with it :p . I will put some quotes in my previous post to make it more clear.

The link to the article works for me. The naddy blabla link you can ignore.

10. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Any additional rumors about timing? Assuming it was going to happen on October 1st or 2nd, they would have announced it by now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020