Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I mean, the people who would be excited about an ARM device probably already have a Pro X, and I know at least I won't be paying for an incremental upgrade at this time (and I'm sure that's the same for others).

And a budget laptop, that's great, there's been so many times when people have asked me for low-end $500 laptop recommendations, and quite frankly most of the options are either Chromebooks or just plain awful. But it's not going to get tech enthusiasts excited either. (And even for the target market, if it's 4GB of RAM like rumored that's awfully low).

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I've said this a few times already, but if they put an OLED screen in the Go3, I'm on board whether it runs WOA or not. The Galaxy Book2 WOA Surface clone is great but just a tad too large and clumsy. For media consumption and light office work I find WOA perfectly suitable, so I say MS bring it on!

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Notebook Check supposedly has the SKU list for the budget Surface Laptop. It's apparently starting at $699 for 4GB RAM/64GB storage.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-S...-GB-of-RAM-and-64-GB-of-storage.495350.0.html

I'd guess that's really $100-200 too high for someone who is really looking for a budget PC. Most of the people who have ever asked me about good cheap computers have been trying to hit the $500 price point, and maybe they'd have gone to $600. But I mean it is still a better entry point than Microsoft previously had.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Looks like the Lenovo Flex 5, 14” laptop is a budget powerhouse. $600 gets you 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage. No OLED or anything like that, but for a student working in class or library it is a bargain. Even come with Wacom AES support.

5. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

I see 8GB model at Microcenter for $639 now. Costco had the 4700u with 16GB ram for $750 but it isn't even on site anymore. Where are you seeing 16GB model for $600?

I got the Costco one for my daughter in Last week of July for school work and she love it. Especially the active pen support.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Granted, I just did a fast calculation in my decrepit brain but £449 is slightly more than $500 for the low end and £499 around $600.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...tel-core-i3-128-gb-ssd-grey-10207981-pdt.html

7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Nice screen. But is it pocketable? How many megapixels is the camera? Is the chipset this year or last?

Steve S likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This looks real, but with one major caveat. What just heard inferred a few minutes ago is that all storage is of the Emmc variety and not SSD (to lower costs) and unclear if maximum will be 128GB or of there will be a 256 GB option (possibly business channel only)

I think they might have the pricing right and it looks a lot like they are responding to the rumored Mac silicon MacBook which is rumored to have a $799 starting price.

We have also hear confirmation of something(s) on the October 1 date

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

EMMC - surely not - they think that plus price will be competitive with MacBook ASi