Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm honestly surprised at such a blow back to the very idea. Its inevitable at this point, especially with intel dropping the ball on the low powered end with lake-field. The problem with Windows on Arm is the currently lack of support and development, but Apple's Arm Mac, I really think that will shift the whole industrial tide towards Arm. The more boats Microsoft has in the water when that tide finally hits, the better off they'll be.

Arm will also allow Microsoft more flexibility with the Go's form factor and dimensions. One of my biggest complaints with my Go 1, it was essentially just as thick as the regular Surface Pro. (8.4 over 8.5). Yeah its still a smaller footprint, but its still a heavy and thick little brick of a tablet. A WOA Go X should be able to easily match the 7.3 mm thickness of the Pro X, or possibly go thinner. I would love it if a Go X could get near iPad Pro/Mini 6 mm levels of thinness.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would love it if a Go X could get near iPad Pro/Mini 6 mm levels of thinness...I would love...iPad Pro/Mini 6 mm levels of thinness...>>

OK, time out. I don't know if you've noticed, but the iPP is also a heavy little brick of a tablet. That is, thiness is irrelevant if isn't accompanied by lower weight! My iPP is a pain to hold for any length of time unless I cradle it in my arm or set it on an iPad Pillow (which is a great accessory, BTW)...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

According to our office postal scale my Surface Go 2 with Type Cover and Surface Pen weighs ONE OUNCE more than my iPad Pro 11 with its SmartKeyboard and Pencil 2...I think that's already an even match - don't you?

You missed the main point of my post - for so many of us office drones the "no compromises" of a full x86 Windows tablet FAR outweigh (pun intended) any value proposition WOA brings to the table.

Steve S likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

I disagree, thinness and comparable weight to a thicker device is far from irrelevant. And You’re not factoring distribution of the weight. I just got the 3rd Gen IPad Pro 12.9, I find it very comfortable to hold, in part because the weight is well distributed. But for a Go X, I’d hope it would be more in line with the iPad Mini. Its portability is quite literally perfect in every aspect.

5. darkmagistric

Just because they offer a Go X doesn’t mean they won’t continue to make Intel based Gos. Since the Go’s have sold so well in bulk for the un-moving legacy driven needs of corporate America, so long as WOA remains unviable for that, I doubt Microsoft would be in any rush to put that revenue stream in jeopardy.

6. dstrauss

I’m afraid once they make the processor change they won’t support both - why have two separate SKU’s with different support and app issues.

7. darkmagistric

Surface Pro 7 and Surface Pro X
    Surface Laptop 3 (Intel) and Surface Laptop 3 (AMD)

I think they could very conceivably support both for a while still.

8. Steve S

<<...Surface Pro 7 and Surface Pro X...>>

And one is supported and one is pretty much not! I think you made @dstrauss ' case...!

dstrauss likes this.
  9. Steve S

JoeS likes this.
  10. dstrauss