Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Every computer needs to have the quality of camera and mics the Surface Go 2 has. I can't believe vendors, even the Spectre x360 14 I am eyeing, may be coming to market with 720p 30fps camera from the current 13".

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, Surface NoGo needs to happen for an April 1 joke. Surface Studio 3 with 64 gb emmc storage and a mx350 (15w version of course :vbrolleyes:). And comet lake processor.

, thanks :thumbsup:

JoeS likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. I like NoGo as well.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So for those that were curious, we received a sample of the i5 128GB SSD configuration. We are just setting it up so no real tests yet. The biggest thing right off the bat is that it DOES NOT support either surface pen for inking.

Other than that, so far initial impression is that the build quality is excellent, way better than typical devices in the price range. Haven't done any qualitative testing yet, but subjectively the display is impressive and exceptionally bright.

More to come if anyone is interested.

First review I've seen as well from Gizmodo
    https://gizmodo.com/the-microsoft-surface-laptop-go-is-trying-1845349567

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    sonichedgehog360 and daddyfish like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. dstrauss

As usual the review units are the higher SKU, $900, with 8gb/256gb. Wouldn't want any negative performance comments. Seriously, 148 dpi display in a $900 device seems a big compromise relative to the competition for $100 more (as Gizmodo points out). Now to be fair, Giz is an Apple joint in my mind, but even the Go's namesake, the Surface Go 2, has 217 dpi. Yes #1, before I get scolded, 10.5" is smaller than 12" (thus higher dpi) to the eye you'll see those pixels in the laptop.

Guess I'm cranky because Thurrott was positively gushing over the "proper laptop version of the Surface Go 2" embodied in the Laptop Go. The fact he is too stupid (and stubborn) to recognize the usefulness and value of the SG2 is beyond annoying.

And, Yes #2, I have to quit watching Windows Weakly...

7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, I just read it also does not have a backlit keyboard :confused:, in the Verge review. I think otherwise the review was a bit harsh and they should also have tested the cheap version to see if it is adequate enough performance wise.
    The bottom is also a bit rubber plastic like apparently (makes sense for pupils / students I guess if it absorbs damage from drops better that way?).
    https://www.theverge.com/21512680/microsoft-surface-laptop-go-review-price-specs-features

I agree with dstrauss, Go all the way.

8. desertlap

It will be later in the week before we complete testing due to higher priorities but I wanted to share initial impressions as I unboxed it this morning.

I'm not sure what to make of this model in general. They also sent us the 4GB RAM 64GB EMMC version as well. What I'm pondering here is where they chose to cut costs and what the value proposition and niche is.

As you pointed out, the keyboard isn't backlit, but other wise it's every bit the feel of the regular surface laptop keyboard. As to the display, you can tell up close where the resolution is less than the laptop 3, but at least for me and the other engineer you can only see it at distances you wouldn't work at for an extended period of time.

And FWIW, it's quite color accurate out of the box at least so far.

And the first round of Wifi tests show it to be possibly the fastest surface device we've tested,
    Plus the surface connector port is fully enabled as well as the USBC port performing right up to spec.

If the base unit had either a standard SSD or 8GB RAM it would improve responsiveness significantly, As shipped though, a $300 chromebook is overall more responsive if that is who MS sees this as competing with and is a terrible value comparatively.

My initial though is that this will get some fleet sales to corporate who still aren't willing to embrace the 2 in 1 approach of the Go 2. Though how big that segment is I am dubious about. I will say though, especially in the M3 configuration, the Go2 is a far better overall value when you factor the in additional versatility.

We will test total performance against the Go2 as well to see how much benefit the i5 is.

PS: They also come in Windows 10S mode out of the box, though it's straight forward (albeit annoying ) to switch.

9. dstrauss

Why do I feel "Windows S" has a distinctive odor to it...

sonichedgehog360 and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. desertlap

Well, this is a bit of a surprise and we need to rerun our tests for verification, but the laptop Go is pretty quick for the price. Substantially faster than the Go 2 overall (~30% plus) and within striking distance (~5%) of the regular 13 inch laptop 3 (and in a couple of tests actually a few percent faster, likely due to a newer SSD)

I'm still struggling with the fit and value proposition a bit, though somewhat less so given the performance.

PS: The laptop Go does have a fan which likely further helps with performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.