Next Surface Hardware Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Sep 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's direct, no cloud. It uses the Wifi Direct protocol introduced with the wifi 5 spec which is peer to peer

daddyfish and dstrauss like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Microsoft's "Your Phone" App shares a bluetooth connection and is slow to transfer photos. When it comes to video, fogettaboutit. A wifi connection between phone and computer is far more desirable. Will this work on non-HP devices? Like my Go 2 and Galaxy Note 10?

daddyfish likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Don't think so - all of the HP materials refer to it as a one-to-one link with your HP computer. You can link with another HP computer but need to disconnect fully from the first device.

daddyfish likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If only Microsoft had some type of method for Nearby Sharing or something...

(Obviously kidding, because this is in W10 for PC-to-PC transfers, but how in the world have they not implemented it into their Android app yet?)

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just tried HP Quickdrop, works like a charm. Thanks for the tip. Also like that it is available as an uwp app (like many HP software apparently).

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am really curious to whether the Laptop Go will be a success or not. On one hand I think it is does not really fit into the vision of Surface brand and the role of purist/clean device is already taken by the bigger Laptop. On the other hand it might sell well with its decent camera + studio microphone at low price (aside from other nice extra's like good input devices), with does make sense with heavy usage of Teams / Zoom etc nowadays.

Slightly offtopic but I noticed that HP Quickdrop does not always transfer images (as in sometimes it gets stuck on ~99%), so far it only seems happening with photos that I made on my phone and where something went a bit wrong with the camera app (so I think it is related to my phone's camera app being a bit buggy, although I could still send the photo by Bluetooth).

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Haven't seen this yet - will be on the lookout...

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The care taken by Microsloth to make my Go2 a great Zoom device is greatly appreciated. The camera and microphones make video conferencing almost endurable. I think it was smart to duplicate that as much as possible in the laptop version of the Go (which it really is not - should we call it the FauxGo?).

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Or alternatively the Surface NoGo. I do like FauxGo tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.