NEWS UPDATE: Toshiba M400 Tablet PC Officially Released (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Aaron, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

2. elee121

elee121 Pen Pal - Newbie

shanulk you are right, thats what my post was about at the top. if you want core duo its a $40 upgrade for 1.66 duo, (up to 2.13 duo or something like that) but to customize, the base price is 1899 and thats with a machine weaker than the 1699 non-customizable one.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It might be a mistake, they just posted this today, so let's see if they make any changes.

4. Nazdrovje

Nazdrovje Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe, maybe not. On the 1100, the digitizer took a heavy toll on the system resources. Some applications simply didn't run well in my lab just because of that. A dual core would have solved that, as the digitizer would have taxed only one processor leaving the other free for other applications.

5. elee121

elee121 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not so sure they would make a mistake like this that is obvious for anyone to see with a second of review. It seems like a marketing scheme to make people who were dying for core duo to come out feel obligated to get it once it did. No one likes to wait for something then pass it up. Plus some people who would just go and customize might miss the fact that they were different, I noticed only after almost 15 minutes. It's a brilliant strategy, dirty as well. I hope I'm wrong though.

6. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

Toshiba always sells at cut throat prices. Wait till some retailers sell it, they'll probably have home configurations with core duo in it. As for me, i'll be waiting for the Fujitsu.

7. rkuo

rkuo Pen Pal - Newbie

It's hardly a scam, ever heard of mass production? It's often much cheaper to produce a single configuration in quantity than it is to customize individual orders.

8. elee121

elee121 Pen Pal - Newbie

I never called it a scam, and I have indeed heard of mass production. I just didn't know that if a tablet was configured its parts would no longer be mass produced but made individually to order. I mean its not like either way they're just assembling parts that were massed produced. Or is it?...
    I agree that it will make things difficult for a company to take customization orders but its not like to compensate they need to charge $200, put in a smaller HD, put in worse ram, and take away 2 years of warranty. Other companies offer standard configurations which you can then build upon for no extra charge like the Fujitsu 4020. It is quite obviously a marketing move, not a result of need. Unless its all just one big mistake (which I am still wishing for)

9. Aaron

Aaron Pen Pal - Newbie

Something to consider:

A customized M400 with the same configuration as the pre-configured model, except with the core duo 1.83 GHz, is priced at $2154

The pre-configured model is priced at $1699

You can buy a 1.83 GHz Core Duo processor here for $311

$1699 + $311 = $2010 (and you end up with an extra Core Solo)

You save $150 by putting in yourself (and you could probably sell the core solo for at least $100)

Anything I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Bhavesh

Bhavesh Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably Toshiba has relaized the mistake and has temporarily withdrawn the customization option from its site. I do not see the 'customization' buttons, only the pre-configured option is available.
    Perhaps they may revise this with some changes a little later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.