Newest 8" tablet with stylus support?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kitenski, Nov 8, 2017.

1. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

hi all,

I'm in the market for a budget(ish) tablet to run as a way of taking notes using OneNote when I'm travelling, in meetings, etc

Is there a currently available Asus that meets this requirement?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I don't think there's a current Asus with pen that's small. I've made the thread below, about an 8" Android device (the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0", 2015 model) with pen and LTE that you can get on ebay. I run OneNote on it, amongst other things. It has some limitations in OneNote compared to the desktop version, because of the app, but it's very good as a mobile note taker, e-reader, broswer, etc.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-0-2015-with-s-pen-and-lte.73158/#post-509875

3. kitenski

Thanks Steve,

Looks like the ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA) is the last one of that size that had a stylus, but isn't available new. I'm guessing the Asus would be faster than the Tab A 8?

4. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

If you don't mind going used on EBay, there are quite a few options available. I sometimes consider selling off my own HP Envy 8 Note. Message me if you're interested in that. I go back and forth about whether I want to sell it off or keep it for a rainy day.
    If you want a Windows device, the Vivotab Note 8 is still a good choice if you can fix the digitizer cable. For an Android device, I wonder if an old Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 would be a good option for you. There are quite a few of those in good shape available on EBay.
    Also, the Dell Venue 8 Pro has stylus support, usually Synaptics, but there is a more recent-ish iteration (late 2015, I think) that is hard to find that supports a Wacom AES pen.

One place to consult might be the "alternatives to the Vivotab Note 8" thread, especially if you are interested in full Windows.

5. kitenski

Thanks HJK, I did try the Envy Note 8, but didn't like the full size keyboard.

Galaxy Note 8 seems a good idea, still expensive here in the UK though, how much can you pick them up for in the USA?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think he means the Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet, not flagship phone that just came out.

HJK and WillAdams like this.
  7. evozero

evozero Pen Pal - Newbie

Tams likes this.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Tams likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Few drawbacks though.....only 3GB of Ram, (when most cellphones now have 4-6GB)....low res screen, and Android only. And given this is designed specifically for Business/Enterprise markets.....it will probably be stupid expensive. Now throw Win10, CoreM3, 4GB Ram, and at 1980x1200-ish higher res on that thing.....that would make it more interesting.

Tams and WillAdams like this.
  10. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Make that core-m, 8GB and an ssd with usb-c and I would pay nearly any price.

darkmagistric likes this.