Newbie needs advice for Monitor for X4 Dock

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by revdvd, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revdvd

revdvd Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm ordering my Thinkpad X41 w/ X4 Dock today. I'm psyched. I want to order a 19", 20" or 21" monitor for my office setup to plug into the dock-- my 53 year old eyesight can use the help, plus allows me to keep multiple windows open. But since the X4 only gives VGA output @ 1024 X 768 resolution, I don't want to pay more for features I'll never be able to use.
    So what kind of specs should I be looking for in a monitor??? Will I notice the difference in monitors with better-than-average smaller pixel size? refresh rate? ms speed? digital?
    Advice appreciated! (I've got all the reviews I need for rating monitors-- just don't know what I need.)
    THANKS!

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you sure that output number is right, I thought the minimum was 1600 x 1200?

3. revdvd

revdvd Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a little confusing. The specs say that the notebook screen is XGA TFT LCD at native 1024 X 768. And that the external I/O connector is VGA-out port. The X4 dock has a VGA port.
    So...........................

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it should be 1600 x 1200. The LCD resolution has no impact on what it can drive for external. Just make sure you don't buy a high resolution wide screen, it won't work.

5. revdvd

revdvd Pen Pal - Newbie

OK-- so no limitations on monitor specs-- I'll just get the best price on decent monitor. Last question: what about digital monitor??? (whatever that means) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.