New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

It may be discontinued, I had to jump a lot of hoops to get one... (especially as I wanted the 4Gb/64Gb version).

Avenger likes this.
  2. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

I see. It's a shame that all the 8" pen-enabled tablets seem to be discontinued. It is the only form factor I like.

3. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Fingers crossed for Microsoft to do Surface Mini...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

4. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

... And while I'm wishing... Have Microsoft put their WordFlow / Swype function in the Windows touch keyboard. It should have been there all along. I use my Android more for typing than the DV8P just for this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm one of the few who doesn't care :p I tried that swiping once on my android, but found it horrible :D

Yes, on all OSes. I had a hard time finding a replacement for my Galaxy Note 8 as well.

6. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Why is the 8 inch space so dysfunctional right now? I want a simple easily pocketable windows device as a catch all note taker to complement my surfacebook when I'm out and about, (especially when in the car). I would love a simple 8 inch windows device with siloed pen (a la vivotab) but with modern internals... is it really so much to ask? I'm taking a chance on a refurbished venue pro 5855 off ebay, but reading through this thread has me really scared, especially with almost no user base and discontinued status.... I almost went with the yoga book as simple tablet and note-taking device because it at least is still a supported / current device ... but the 10 inch is just too big to fit in a front pants pocket or jacket pocket.... I played with a hp 608 when it first came out and it was just too expensive and buggy (and just slightly too wide to justify.. hopefully this refurbished 5855 is one of the good ones and it works out...

thierryb likes this.
  7. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my 5855 on ebay and it works flawlessly. I had an HPEN8 before this one and the 5855 is way ahead in terms of performance. I usually keep in my backpack for whenever I forget to bring my SP4.

cbutters and nnthemperor like this.
  8. cbutters

Good to hear. I'm hoping the bugs were worked out before Dell shut down the production line on the venue tablets.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. cbutters

Quick question... anybody know if the hp envy note 8 pen works on the 5855?
    I'd literally rather buy a used envy note 8 for 100-150 bucks and have 2 tablets than spend 50 on the dell active stylus.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I confirmed that it works very well in one of my posts. Actually, I too was reluctant to drop a whole $50 for the Dell pen and luckily when the tablet came, the HP pen worked quite well. You might want to install the Wacom pen driver to get the pen settings panel if you want to configure the buttons.

Sent from mTalk

cbutters likes this.