New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Did a good amount of writing in OneNote with both my HP Active Pen and Bamboo Smart and both work flawlessly on the device. Hover is about the same with the HPEN8. I tried charging the unit with my nexus 5X cable and charger and it charged just fine. One thing I'm surprised that's different from the online reviews is regarding the V8P's brightness. I find its 40% sufficient and bright enough for my needs compared to reviews saying it is very dim. A dim screen for me would be the Spectre X2 IMO. I also like the rugged and durable feel of the device. It does feel like it weighs a bit more than the EN8 but it feels less fragile which I like.

Everything is just so fast with the V8P. I've loaded pretty much all of the apps and programs I'm going to be using it with, so hopefully tomorrow's battery test will have a more stable usage result.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine charges with N6P charger / cable and with every USB or USB-C charger I have in the house and in the cars. They all work. I charge it at night at my nightstand on the same charger that I use with my N6P. It charges great while powered up. For comparison, I've done a lot of comparison to find USB-C power that works with my Acer SA12; but everything works with the DV8P.

It has proven picky with USB-C powered port replicators. I'm pretty sure it worked with a Dell power supply in USB-C-PD pass-through but it doesn't seem to work for PD pass-through with the Apple or similar power supplies. When it does work, that allows me to use a large screen, Gig-E, and a bevy of USB devices just like my SA12.

My power experience probably changes my opinion of the battery issue as well: I just plug it into an external battery unit and I'm good to go.

dunno... sure sounds like you got a bad one. :-/

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I think that's what it is. Thanks for the feedback though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. nnthemperor

Did you install the wacom pen control panel? I did and with it have the radial menu and button configuration with the HP active pen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Just finished my lecture day of around 4 hrs at 40% brightness and wifi on with 50% remaining. I used it mainly for writing down notes and audio recording of my lectures in OneNote 2016. I was also doing some Edge browsing here and there. This is a very positive result for me as I am confident that it will be able to finish my 6 hr day with some battery to spare. Inking experience is probably better on the device than my EN8 just because of the overall smoothness and speed of the V8P.

I'm definitely satisfied with the device and am ready to part with the EN8.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  6. nnthemperor

Yeah, the screen is the first place the reviews got it wrong. It is beautiful. My unit is a refurb, so no much complaints. Still love the device, with always on battery saver, got upto 5+hrs of use yesterday with a about 30% left. Inking in OneNote uwp didn't stutter that much, just noticed headphone jack doesn't work and still little or no charging when plugged in without powering down. Chose the express charge power mgmt option, any side effects on battery?

Sent from mTalk

7. gregoryx

Just tested USB-C pass-through to see what power-supplies work or not. I'm not sure where the original power supply is, so I didn't test that one. I'm using this USB-C device - with USB3 and HDMI output: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUXA9YK/

I used six power supplies: Choetech, Lumsing, Apple. Dell, Huawei (from N6P), and JTD external battery unit.

The Dell, Huawei, and JTA units all work in pass-through. IOW, I'm using the DV8P with GigE, external 1920x1080 monitor, and other USB peripherals just like a desktop. And it's powered up through the same port. All works well.
    These work (with the above unit):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FI7W7QO/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4G1XXU/
    (can't find a link to the N6P power supply - it came with the phone)

The other three devices - Choetech, Lumsing, Apple - power the unit fine but do not work in pass-through - at least not with the Mokin unit I have here right now.
    These do not (with the above unit):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZ61WWQ/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1OIO4A/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VU2Z3J0/

USB-C power supplies.jpg

kvoram and Rodney like this.
  8. Rodney

Rodney Pen Pal - Newbie

@gregoryx : On December 6 you wrote:

"Oddly, my opinion on this unit has changed in the last two weeks. I did a full reload and didn't do all the Dell driver updates. The thing runs better, sleeps better, battery life is better"

Where or what link did you reload from, please?

Which driver updates do you recommend?

Thanks for your numerous helpful posts!
    Cheers,
    Rodney

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  9. gregoryx

What I did may not be what everyone might want to do.

I downloaded the Win10Pro ISO from Microsoft, set up a USB stick and used a USB-C adapter and a hub to boot to it (after enabling in the BIOS). I had a USB keyboard and mouse attached as well.

I wiped all the partitions and installed Win10Pro 64-bit. Then did all the updates. Touchscreen didn't work. Installed the one driver from Dell.

At that point, everything worked better than it had since day one.

A few weeks later, I started wondering about the battery and sleep not being as good as it should. Ran the reports and there are devices not sleeping.

I made a backup using Windows imaging and turned on System Protection, took an image, then installed more of the Dell drivers.

Everything still works and still have the battery issues. But it's still working better than ever.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Rodney likes this.
  10. Rodney

Rodney Pen Pal - Newbie

@gregoryx
    Thank you for the detailed reply!

After wiping all the partitions, and installing Win10Pro 64-bit from a USB stick, how did you activate the fresh install?
    I don't recall whether we received an activation key separately in the original box?