New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you can live with the 4-5hr battery life, I'd say go for it. Everything from the size to screen brightness is perfect, nothing like what the critics wrote about it. My only problem is the inking problem which must be because of the non stock stylus that I'm using. The Dell pen does cost up to $50 and I'm a bit hesitant to dish that out especially since the HP pen should be working.

Sent from mTalk

2. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

If / when there's a better 8" Windows tablet, I'll buy it. Currently, there is not.

I'd love the same form with a 9" screen with no borders. That'd be even better.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

3. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, excellent inking, especially after I adjusted the pressure curve to better match Wacom EMR (more info on page 63, post on Nov 11). The soft nibs didn't have the impact I wanted, but I still haven't explored screen protectors that might add more drag.

I'd say the only real drawbacks to this device for me are the short battery life, and the long charge time. Throttling doesn't really affect me.

So if you can live with the battery issues, it's a great option.

4. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Just placed my order for the V8P. At 260$, I don't think it can get any worse from the performance nightmare of the HPE8N. I'll be testing usage through my long days of lecture (around 6 hours) and see if it can survive it. I'm probably gonna do a fresh AU install once I get it and see how it goes.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

Spoke too early in this. It's quite underwhelming. Even the HP8EN with 2g and atom 8300 outperforms it. The battery doesn't even last up to 4hrs and the damn device fails to charge unless it is powered down. Still have to bring along my Envy note 8 just in case. Big fail. Where are the windows on arm devices please?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. nnthemperor

6hrs? Forget it. You'll be lucky to make 4hrs. I think the HPEN8 is a better, more reliable device.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. gregoryx

Sorry, man... I gotta LOL. Clearly, any of us who have found it to work well - and charge without powering down and all that - are mistaken. You've got yourself the best setup possible with this device and it's terrible. Feel free to send your piece of junk my way. I'll pay the shipping. :-D

8. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received my V8P. I'll post my findings after my lecture day tomorrow and see how it holds up.

9. gregoryx

@nthemperor, re-reading your posts, you might have a bad unit. Of any issues I've seen (and read about) over the last year-plus with this device, yours don't seem consistent with the typical stuff. You might want to consider returning it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

10. nnthemperor

I love the screen and sturdiness of it, but compared to the HP, I find the latter more reliable but for pathetic ram. It works well when it works though.

By the way, does yours charge with other type-c chargers apart from the OEM one? The battery lamp near the port doesn't turn on when I use my Nexus 6p cable.

Sent from mTalk