New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

@nnthemperor, I suspect it is quite different this time since I loaded it from scratch - not from the Dell load or even the recovery option from Dell. From a fresh Microsoft ISO.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, coincidentally, that's what I did with the HP8EN. Got an ISO AU on a thumb drive and removed all the HP bloatwares. I also avoided all legacy apps and used only apps from the windows store. My guess is that this would even be better on the V8P

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Tracer11LB

Tracer11LB Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, so I recently got the 5855 for a trip coming up. I wanted a small 8" windows tablet to be able to transfer GoPro footage on micro sd to a external thumbdrive. And also do some normal browsing, video, and play some old games. I had the old DV8P and it was just fine with all the other stuff I want to do with it, but transferring the files from Gopro micro sd to thumbdrive took forever. So figured with the USB type-c of the 5855, it would go quicker (have not got around testing this yet).

The only issue that I am having is I bought one of those hub with type-c to usb 3.0 plus charging capabilities but it will not charge for some reason. I have use two different kind and I could not get it to charge. USB ports work but not the charge port. When I was looking around (that's what kinda got me to this thread) online, I read somewhere, forgot the link, that the 5855 does not support charging and data at the same time? Is this correct? I have read through this whole thread from the beginning but did not really see if people ran into similar issues than I am. Is that something that I need to enable somewhere?

4. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

I have mostly stopped using mine but had a similar experience. I bought dongles that should have charged it, but it didn't work.

The WD15 USB-C doc will charge and have data at the same time though so it is possible. It is just expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Tracer11LB

Ok, Thanks for the reply. I don't want to be carrying around a dock with me on the plane and such.

I will keep looking. and see if there is some sort of a mod/hack for those dongles to work.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Here is that link by the way that says the 5855 does not support charging and data transfer at the same time. Did not mention anything about the third party device though.

http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN299516

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. gregoryx

Sadly, the Dell post is incorrect. It absolutely supports charging and data at the same time. FTR, I've had a similar experience with the Acer SA12: even Acer didn't think it supported PD initially (it does as well).

I never tried to find USB-C docks with the DV8P but since getting the SA12, I have been. And it turns out that everything that works with the SA12 (and the MacBook Pro) works with the DV8P - as a dock / expansion device.

BUT... not all power-supplies work with all port-expansion devices for power-delivery - at least not with the DV8P. Go figure. IOW, I have many power-supplies for USB-C that all work with the DV8P (pretty much everything works - if not all that fast / well). But only the Dell USB-C power supplies I have seem to work in USB-C power-delivery (pass-through) on the hub/dongle devices.

I can tell you for sure that this device works for power pass-through on DV8P with the various port-expansion devices I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FI7W7QO/

I'm uncertain if the power-supply that came with the DV8P works as I'm not sure which one of my collection of Dell power supplies it is.

I can tell you that at least a half-dozen other USB-C power-supplies I have (including the MacBook Pro power supply) do not work as pass-through - though they do work to power the DV8P.

This is the device I'm using most right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUXA9YK/

This device /should/ have worked but had a bad cable (returned it): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KYVKFDQ/
    I'm still looking for one like this to use instead of the Mokin. New ones come out daily, it seems.

I still hope that the low-cost USB-C power supplies that work with my SA12 would work for PD with the DV8P but Dell seems to have done something to keep that from working.

7. gregoryx

Hate to burst your bubble on this, but the USB-C is just the same as any USB3 port after you plug a converter into it. And from my testing, the performance limit is /probably/ on the SD card. The only work-around I know of is the newer Micro SD cards that support a newer, faster transfer - and require a special reader, of course. I've got a UHS-II from Lexar, but it still doesn't even come close to a good USB stick for throughput.

Just tested a handful of mSD cards last night (to choose which to use for the GoPro, ironically) and they're just damn slow for the most part. A little faster on one computer versus the other... but mostly just slow. I get as much as the top tests show - best case - but even then, a max of ~70-80MB per second is the top theoretical - and not what I see sustained.

Since the GoPro is standard SD, this list may help: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-microsd-cards

8. Tracer11LB

Thank you. That is good to know!!! I was thinking about returning the DV8P because of that issue but thanks for the info that it works.

This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/MOKiN-USB-C-...06636&sr=1-5&keywords=mokin+type+c+to+usb+3.0

I have the power supply and cable that came with the DV8P but I guess that does not work. I will try with other power wall charger like the Anker smart charger 40W or something like that.

Thanks again.

9. Tracer11LB

That sucks. Well I guess I just have to live with it. I will be mostly transfering footage at night at the hotel so that should be ok. I guess as long as it is faster than the original DV8P, Im fine with it.

Thanks.

10. gregoryx

Good to know that the stock one does NOT work. I was curious. I have tried... maybe 8-10 other power supplies and they do not work. That Dell one I linked to does. I assumed there would be others - including the stock one - but maybe not.

Sitting in front of me - and not working with the DV8P for pass-through:
    Choetech
    Apple
    Lumsing
    Dell (from my old DV11P)

I returned the RAV and Anker because neither worked with the SA12.

Keep us posted!

And good luck on the mSD transfers. Gotta love all the stuff that says it's 300MB but tests at a tiny fraction. <eye-roll>