New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Wacom Bamboo Smart uses the same soft nibs as are used in the Toshiba TruPen --- apparently replacement nibs for that are available (though w/ exorbitant shipping from CDW) --- bought mine from Amazon w/ free shipping (and the price has since been reduced).

EDIT: Note however that the stiff black nibs don't seem to work --- at least not on my tablet/pen. Constant activation / clicking.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I just bought the HP Envy Note 8 and very happy. Microsoft store had them for $199 with a pen. I bought two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks! I've ordered some and will hope for the best :)

In response to kneehowguys:

1) I can't speculate on future 8" windows tablets, but it's a good form factor for me, at least.

2) I haven't had driver issues (yet), just looking for ways to adjust the typical behavior of the bluetooth button on the pen. In fact, windows has made this a littler easier. For me, it worked out of the box, and with a wacom driver, there was a bit of additional functionality.

3) The reason I went with the 5855 is that it's a) 1080p and therefore close to 300 ppi, b) at least 64 gb hdd, c) at least 4 gb ram, and that d) the stylus is at a level that is sufficient for my uses. This is (unfortunately) the only 8" tablet I know of that hit those specs. But there are other options if you can compromise or if you're not prioritizing one or more of those.

4) No, I have not. Like I said, the battery issues haven't really affected me.

nerdybyrds and kneehowguys like this.
  4. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

1. No idea. But I can tell you I probably look here more often than I should: http://tabletmonkeys.com/new-tablets/

2. I had to do a full reload to get rid of some of the driver issues early on. Since then, I've turned on System Restore and used it if anything doesn't seem right. Costs space and resources; but seems worth it. It took a BUNCH of attempts to finally get some of the drivers to load - I had to unpack them and do them individually.

3. I wouldn't buy this one again. On paper, it looks like the best. In practice, meh. Now that One Note for Android is better, I might even consider an 8" Android with a pen as an alternative. Not perfect; but has a lot of advantages including truly great on-screen keyboard options. Otherwise, probably the HP - especially if it's cheap.

4. I've charged with battery packs. There's a couple of flatter ones out there now. Especially with the new MacBook USB-C deal, there's starting to be more and more stuff hitting the street. And the MBP charger (and a number of others) work with the DV8P2, FWIW.

I've moved to an Acer Switch Alpha 12 for my primary system and it's good enough that I often just use it in cases where I would have used the DV8P previously - including reading, with it set up on a table or in my lap. As much as I like the 8" form factor, I'm tired of them not working very well. And I don't see a decent one coming any time soon.

kneehowguys likes this.
  5. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could someone who understands LTE or has the dell 5855 with LTE explain the below to me?

- I have a galaxy note 10.1 with LTE that I got from the verizon store
    1. - If I bought the Dell 5855, do I just rip out the LTE chip from the galaxy note 10 and stick it in the dell 5855? Is that even possible? Is it more compliated than that? Does verizon's LTE not work with the dell 5855

2. Why does the LTE model seem to be cheaper than the middle model? http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/dell-venue-8-pro-5855-tablet/pd

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@kneehowguys Do you plan on buying a non-LTE Dell 5855 and "upgrade" it with your Note's WWAN module? If so, that won't work because you also need the LTE antenna which would likely be missing in a WiFi-only Dell 5855.

7. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee Pen Pal - Newbie

If by chip you mean the sim card, then yes that's all you should need to do. You might need to check with Verizon whether your data plan will still be OK for the Dell, some mobile operators seem to detect Windows tablets as tethered devices.

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My HP8EN has been annoyingly slow, looking to snag a refurbished Venue 8 5855 on Ebay. Problem is the pen is not included.
    Would you still recommend this device or is it a noticeable downgrade for someone coming from the HP8EN?
    Also, since the HP and Dell Venue 8 pens are based on the Wacom AES technology, can they be used interchangeably ?

Thanks

Sent from mTalk

9. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Oddly, my opinion on this unit has changed in the last two weeks. I did a full reload and didn't do all the Dell driver updates. The thing runs better, sleeps better, battery life is better, and the weird touch-not-working-when-flat-on-the-table deal is gone. So, yeah... at this point I /would/ recommend it. Especially at a reasonable price.

I tested the V8P2 pen on an HP unit and it worked - but it wasn't the HP8EN... so I'd say if that's AES, you should be good.

Rodney, nerdybyrds and nnthemperor like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks @gregoryx. The eBay seller says it's maker-refurbished, so I'm guessing Dell would have tried to correct some of the bugs too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk