New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Shooby319

Shooby319 Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a 40% off coupon for the 5855 right now at the dell outlet. Comes out to about $220 before taxes for a top spec (without LTE) refurbished unit with warranty. Good price if you're on the fence about buying one. More than half off the price of a new one.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Mikerman likes this.
  2. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah you can find some really good deals right now. I got mine. The shipping wasnt the fastest but the quality of the product seems great so far. Amazing value for the price and the perfect upgrade from my asus note 8. Will play with it a bit more and let you all know if i run into any issues.

3. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee Pen Pal - Newbie

Please consider what I've written in this thread before you buy. I wish I'd read up more on Cherry Trail before I'd spent the money on this tablet, it is NOT an upgrade over Bay Trail devices in performance terms, in fact it's a definite downgrade for intensive tasks.

4. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I got mine today.. upgraded from Asia and older dell. Like the pen and the screen. Seems a little slower than the others despite the ram and other improvements. The dell support service tried to install new intel chip drivers but they failed the install. Thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Always a good sign . . . .

6. inmnbob

Well it is day three and I am disappointed. Was initially excited about the pen performance since it was the primary reason for the purchase compared to the previous original Venue Pro. Since the initial install the performance of the pen or system has deteriorated. All I did was the windows updates and the dell updates that their service app suggested. Now the pen skips while writing and the pen often isn't recognized until almost touching the screen. I replaced the battery but no change.

Any ideas?

How good is dell on taking this back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. inmnbob

There is a driver update that comes up from the dell service app that fails on install. It is the intel chip driver. Has anyone solved the problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've always downloaded directly from Dell's site for any updates. The update app is inconsistent.

9. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

Alright, I picked one up from the outlet, and I'm pretty happy with it. The screen is a huge upgrade from the prior versions, and the lower battery life hasn't really been too troubling yet.

A couple questions:

- Is there a way to adjust the Dell pen's pressure sensitivity curve? I much prefer the Wacom EMR curve, which seems to have strokes broaden more quickly.
    --Edit: Following this guide, I ended up settling on "100 0 650 600 900 2046" as an ok approximation. I had to reboot each time, as I couldn't find the service in the list.

- Is there any comparable AES pen that has replacement nibs? The felt is my favorite for EMR.
    --Edit: It appears that the Bamboo Smart has a softer nib replacement--can these be purchased separately from the pen?

- Or, alternatively, can anyone recommend a screen protector to eliminate the "sliding on glass" feel?

- Is there a way to turn the bluetooth button on the end of the pen into an eraser modifier, or something else? I don't really get much functionality from it as it is.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  10. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. Is there likely to be an upgrade to the dell 5855 or another good viable 8 inch full windows notetaker?

2. What would be your tips to avoid problems with drivers that affect things like pens?

3. If you wanted to get an 8 inch notetaker with full windows, would you go with the dell 5855? If not, what?

4. Anyone tried a battery pack or maybe a sheet shaped battery pack that they have used with this that could slip into a backpack easily with the other papers?