New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks--keep us posted on how it results!

2. Rodney

Rodney Pen Pal - Newbie

3. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee Pen Pal - Newbie

Me too, when I upgraded from the earlier model I just assumed Dell would produce another USB+power adapter like they did before, but it looks like they want you to buy that huge expensive dock instead. I'm wondering whether any of the ones designed for MacBooks will work (i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0148J3YHE) or whether Dell has again done something non-standard for charging with data?

I'm also struggling to find ANY decent case for this tablet. The IVSO folio cases for the earlier Venue 8 Pros were ideal, but after much searching I can't find anything like that for the 5855, just the one Dell sells for £50. Can anyone point me to a fitted folio case, or do they just not exist?

4. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I found one case on amazon and a couple on eBay. Just place my 5855 order today. Have the earlier Venue and the Vivotab. Both are getting old and I hope the new Dell and Pen are the next answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. xtcrefugee

Really? I can't find anything other than generic cases on both eBay and Amazon (UK) except the original Dell one, certainly no nice slimline cases like there were for the earlier model.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Findings:

Just been messing around with one of these as I might be keeping it! So far it's... Okay. I have, currently, an SP3 which is being changed to an SP4, an iPad mini etc. The screen, in portrait, simply isn't wide enough. The 8" device size simply, in my opinion, isn't as good as the mini. Sorry but it's just easier using the mini (Never thought I'd say that about apple). My model has 4Gb ram, 64Gb storage, which means that the performance is adequate.

For those interested, while clean installing Windows 10, I used a Microsoft Continuum dock without issue! (Not plugged into a screen, only USB). While still on Windows 8 I did connect it all to a monitor and, although the resolution was quite low, it also worked without issue.

All in all it's not a bad device at all but ALL of the 8" tablets are too thin when viewed as portrait (imo).

7. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

8. inmnbob

I agree that there isn't a slim line. I liked the original one as well

9. inmnbob

I bought an Extra charger for the new venue pro but it appears bigger 30 watt that the 10 what. Both are type c. Can I use it with the venue or should I return it

10. xtcrefugee

It should be fine. You can also check in the diagnostics how much power it's drawing, as long as it's the same or less than the regular charger there shouldn't be any problem.

To enter diagnostics, repeatedly press the volume up key when the Dell logo appears when you boot the tablet. Then use volume up to select Diagnostics in the menu that appears. Tap the large pause button to stop the auto test from running, then the tiny arrow in the bottom right. Under "primary battery current flow" you can see how many mA your tablet is consuming, just unplug it from the regular charger and plug it into the 30 watt one to see if there's a difference. tbh cables seem to make more of a difference than chargers most of the time.