New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

Yup, eBay.de shipped to a forwarder with a German address. And thanks for posting that link! Using a forwarder greatly inflates the cost of the item, though, and there are probably much cheaper forwarders than the one I used. I'll know soon enough.

2. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

how do you use or setup a forwarder? the price is not bad when converted to dollars the thinkpad 8 with 4GB ram and 128GB hard drive is super rare and worth it to me

3. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Doesn't make sense to me; but far be it from me to presume how someone else sees it. For a non-pen experience, Android tablets are pretty awesome. That said, my app usage is Outlook, Chrome, and OneNote (on Android and Windows). The OneNone Android version is much better than it use to be but the (full) Windows version remains better. And the pen is a key part of using OneNote in meetings and such for me. Beyond that, the pen is useless for me. But that's a big factor. It seems to me like there's better Windows tablets available if we're talking non-pen.

Yeah, that sounds about right to me, jazzman. The DV8P pen mostly works. Just not great. I've been using it for the last couple of years; it's tolerable. This new one is SO nice with the pen and touch. I'd forgot how nice such a good pen can be. I've still got a couple Wacom tablets around; but they're too bulky (because they're old) so I don't use them. The added memory and Wacom pen makes the DV8P2 exactly what I'd wanted the DV8P to be in the first place.

Now... if only they'll start making some accessories for it. I've tried three of the DV8P covers and keyboard/covers and they just don't fit right. The USB-C to HDMI/Ethernet Dell sells doesn't charge - making it completely useless. And there's no matte (or other) screen covers yet.

On another note, I reloaded the DV8P2 to resolve the lost auto-rotation (from some update - don't know which) and it's all running great again. If I use it a lot, I can feel it get a little warm mostly toward the corner where the front-facing camera is, but I haven't had the overheat problem. Since reloading, it hasn't done the won't-come-back-from-sleep thing. But it's only been 3-4 days, so that could still resurface.

Comparing it to the original DV8P's bug-repair cycle, this one's going super well for me. Of course, it's going terrible for others... and maybe I got the only decent tablet they shipped. But this one is great so far.

4. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm really thinking that I'm going to wait 2-3 months and reorder this.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@gregoryx
    Now yes, 2 years ago, no.
    And as there are still only the new DV8P + the HP608G1 available with 4GB the TP8 is the only other option.

I will check in the next maybe 4 weeks if the TP8, combined with an USB3 Dock ( and travel-dock ) is able to be the "one and only"
    device I need for media consumption and office work ( mail, sw development ) etc.
    It's not really slower then the I3-2367 I had until last year .

6. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea I'm currently hot on the heels of a 4gb ram 128 gb hard drive thinkpad 8 due to how disappointing the new Dell VP8 and HP 608's are. If I can't get one then the HP 608 is my next option. The Dell seems like a buggy dud and doesn't have a 128gb option but is still $450.

7. gregoryx

Agreed. When the DV8P came out, there were not a lot of 2GB options. Those stupid RT things were the lower-end. Now there's not much in the way of 4GB options.

Your post nudged me to try the external monitor using the Dell adapter I ordered with the unit. (I'm returning it because it doesn't do pass-through power - stupid.) I couldn't get high-resolution HDMI on it. But I suspect that's because it's not intended for this device and/or doesn't work well with it. I'll order something else eventually - Dell's dock or some other one.

To your point, the performance seems adequate to support most of my typical usage. With the new Lexar UHS-II/U3 128G mSD in it - and making sure I'm storing things on that over internal - it's not bad.

Weird additional piece: I was checking out the HP Spectre II at BestBuy and the pen from the VP8P2 seemed to work better than the HP pen.

Oh! And adding a MS "Surface Loop" for the pen works well for holding it.

Since I'm the only person who has had a positive experience so far... uh... not sure if I should keep y'all posted or shut-up so that no-one gets another bad one?

8. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

Keep us posted. It makes us believe there's still hope. We are living vicariously through your experience.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  9. gregoryx

LOL!

10. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, for those looking for a portable dock, unfortunately, the Apple HDMI/USB-A/USB-C adapter does not fully work with the tablet. The HDMI and USB are fine (even through a USB hub), but the tablet is not powered by the adapter. Most likely because the Macbook's 29W adapter is 14.5V and 2A, whereas the HP's is 5.25V and 3A. I find I'm not quite brave enough to use the rMB's adapter to find out if that works or not. So at best, Apple's adapter is a video/USB hub.

Can someone with the DV8P confirm the adapter's voltage and current output? The Dell WD15 dock may still be an option, even for the HP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.