New Venue 8 Pro ??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by FZelle, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

You are correct. My original V8P had standby battery drain that was similar to this new version. It had major Wifi issues. These aren't problems for me anymore in 8.1 (not sure about W10). I am sure my APPs locking up will go away also.

I don't think thermal issues will go away though. Luckily, I didn't see thermal throttling with Geekbench as it outperformed by old V8P decently (posted previously). The only throttling I saw was with TSBench and HyperPi. Workloads like this are never seen on my tablets during regular use.

Once I have mine back from repair, I can try some more varying workloads and report temps.

Edit - I hope my audio issues will be fixed when it is returned to me also.

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seems that not all vendors have a heat problem

3. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the 2GB ram and 32GB hard drive spec should be outlawed now. What a horrible way to gimp what would probably be a good tablet. 4GB ram and 64GB hard drive for this and I'd buy it.

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  5. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

The Dell US site has finally removed that mislabeled diagram. Maybe they're cleaning up their mistakes on a prematurely released tablet and they'll fix the problems with the tablet itself soon. We can only hope.

6. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

Thunderbolt would've been nice... :(

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What happened with the 10" device from Dell???
    It will be released or not eventually.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Air 2

8. Cho_ST

Cho_ST Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, this was a bit disappointing to read. Was looking forward to this device as an upgrade to the outstanding original DV8P. I would not even upgrade if it wasn't for the battery, which now drains when running Acestream while plugged in :(.

Hopefully some of these bugs are fixed in the coming months because i am a huge fan of the original and use it everyday!
    cheers to all posters for the informative posts.

Droidophobe likes this.
  9. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been meaning to post for a while now... so...

I've been using the new DV8P for three weeks or so. I've moved over to it from my old DV8P. I'm typing this using it at a coffee shop (with one of my trusty old Think Outside keyboards).

I haven't done any benchmarks - battery or CPU or otherwise. But I have Office 2016 installed and use Outlook and OneNote all day every day. I also use Excel and Power Point a bit. Browser of choice is Chrome - always with a couple dozen tabs open. KeePass is always open in the background, along with DropBox and Q-Sync.

The new pen is great. The touch experience is great. The performance is fine - better than the old DV8P with all the stuff I keep open all the time. I'm putting that on the 4GB RAM more than Windows 10 or the newer CPU. I get zero performance lags in standard use. If I'm streaming a video in a browser, it might bog a bit; but that's hard to pin on much.

The old DV8P pen and touch never came close to matching the Wacom units I was accustomed to on my old full-size tablets (over the last decade or so). I dealt with it because I tried a couple of the other 8" options and they all sucked in one way or another. I tolerated the stupid bad pens - unscrewing the top repeatedly in meetings to get it to write again and always keeping at least two pens and a spare battery with me - because the overall form-factor, reliability, and portability in a full-Windows experience was... tolerable. So just having that fixed - completely... the new pen and touch are top-notch - is reason enough to keep it for me. Unless there's enough problems and another solution that's better.

So... the problems:
    - I've lost auto-rotation and the menu rotate button in one of the updates. There's a fix but I haven't implemented it yet.
    - The battery life isn't great. 5-6 hours? Hard to be sure. Not awesome.
    - It sometimes hangs / doesn't wake up correctly - and I have to long-press power it down and back up, losing whatever was running. That seems to only happen after longer sleep cycles and I haven't correlated it to anything yet. It's an every-other-day sort of thing right now.

Other details:
    - USB-C charging works well - at whatever speed / power the charger / cable happens to be (I have a few from my Nexus 6P). It will charge my Nexus with a USB-C to USB-C cable.
    - The 1080 screen solves one of my biggest complaints with the old DV8P: web-sites were often un-usable with the 800 high/wide resolution. That problem is completely gone. And the brightness and screen quality seems great.
    - The Win10 menu actually works really well on this size unit. Even better than Classic Menu that I put on everything else.
    - 128GB SD works great. Not fast, of course, but quite tolerable and amounts to plenty of space between the two.
    - I haven't tested the USB-C speed yet. I have no way of knowing if it's Thunderbolt or not. Maybe I'll do a couple GigE tests and see what it caps at. But with the slow storage on it, I'm not sure it'll be noticeable if it's any faster than 100Mb.
    - (edit) Forgot to clarify about the pen: it is the new Wacom technology. AAAA battery for the pen with two watch batteries for the top (eraser) button, which is actually a Bluetooth thing. No ability to re-map any of the three buttons at this point that I found.

Other complaints:
    - The lack of a decent powered port-replication option sucks. I suspect these will come; but I don't see anything that looks good yet. I'm returning the port-replication thing from Dell: having HDMI and ethernet with no power is silly.
    - The lack of a decent cover / portfolio is a bummer. I've purchased three for the DV8P and none fit well enough to keep. I'm sure they'll come as well.
    - Likewise for lack of a matte screen protector. I like the pen feel and no-glare of a matte surface.
    - Win10 should have a Swype function for the keyboard. If it did, I'd be typing this with it instead of external. I can type faster on my Nexus with Swype (or Google's swipe) than the touch-screen Windows mess.

Summary:
    If there were a superior solution at this point with 4GB and 64GB (or more) in 8" or 9" size, I'd buy it. Since there isn't, I'm probably going to keep this and hope that Dell and Microsoft solve the not-returning-from-sleep problem. Maybe the battery life will improve as it did with the old DB8P; even a decrease in performance wouldn't be a problem. I suspect the rest of it should work itself out and be okay.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    thierryb and Droidophobe like this.
  10. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

It sounds like your experience has been much less troublesome than the rest of ours, which is encouraging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.