New: Toshiba Encore

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by excalibur1814, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharkasport

sharkasport Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anyone else having issues where you try to 'DUPLICATE' your screen via Miracast and it just doesnt work?

I can extend, which is kind of pointless as you have no way to control the 2nd screen unless you have a mouse.

But if I try and duplicate it simply wont allow it, even after applying the settings.

2. chinesecooler

chinesecooler Pen Pal - Newbie

No luck, even reinstalling the system doesn't help. Screen off option is still missing. It must be an OEM mod in the system driver. Unless Toshiba enable this option we are out of options.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

3. chinesecooler

chinesecooler Pen Pal - Newbie

To make matter worse, the recovery usb I created with the Toshiba image tool doesn't work. It goes into an infinite reboot loop.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4. timon

timon Pen Pal - Newbie

yup, looks Toshiba PC's sales teams are not doing better.

Kakaku and Amazon JP are Japanese major online super malls. However, you can see Kakaku and Amazon JP's datasheets showed out Toshiba Encore no GPS! In initially Toshiba JP lost GPS item as their inaccurate datasheet for Toshiba Encore, later most of Japanese sites and malls were using the same inaccurate datasheet, up to now.

Despite Toshiba JP and Toshiba US have already updated the Toshiba Encore's webpages, by people pointed up datasheet's wrong after a while, but, Toshiba JP and Toshiba US did not send notice to their channel distributors, well then, what situation is currently as Toshiba sales lineup?

In Amazon US site, came into Windows tablet webpage and ticked “8-8.9 inches", but is no Toshiba Encore therein, must directly search for "Toshiba Encore" looking for. Not only that, and is still the Technical Details the GPS not showing up! And the B&H webpage is also the same situation.
    Up to the present, it is still not available of the 64GB Toshiba Encore WT8 by Amazon US and B&H.

Also, Most of the consumers are not clearly knew what merits of the HFFS screen, however, Toshiba did not point out advantage, really very bad sales lineup.
    HFFS Screen in Reply #3 http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/toshiba/59801-recent-8-windows-slates-weight-battery-gps-hdmi-out.html

Japanese some of consumers are confused and ask about GPS of Toshiba Encore through from Internet. Very likely the more Japanese consumers direct to waive this choice.
    In Japanese local market it based on a failed pricing and a not-good sales lineup, as thus Toshiba Encore sales is even not as good as Lenovo MiiX II 8.
    Toshiba is Japan's a comprehensive corporation (doing fab-making, semiconductor development and super electric power equipment all-around), Lenovo is just China's an IT company, at the sizes, not only Toshiba is far larger than Lenovo, for Toshiba's history is also more longinquity.
    A look at background, recent years many Japanese brand products are a fall in shares in Chinese market, despite there are still a lot of Japanese corporation's factories and producing in China. (Not the Japanese brands got into inferior qualities; Not all of the Japanese corporation's sales lineup so bad, a lot of knock-off goods nor came from Japanese brands)

After next several months, Asus (and Samsung) will start sales the 8" Windows slates, what would be Toshiba's not-good sales lineup get?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. timon

timon Pen Pal - Newbie

Maps and GPS navigation

Toshiba WT8 provides GPS and HDMI-out.
    In outdoors, trip or mountain that GPS is very helpful, even if there is no Internet when, with Google Earth has packaged of the trip-zone's cache files (or is the pre-prepared other map tiles) to do offline maps viewable.
    Viewing map based on an 8" screen would be much more comfortable than a cellphone. Moreover, therefore in journey can take with a ultra-low-power phone or a satellite phone, no longer a high power consumed of phone. Usually most of phone's GPS performance are not so well, a too small GPS antenna built-in.

Without better maps than Google Earth/Satellite Maps. But, Google Earth no directly given a realtime GPS Navigation, which needs with third party software assisted, such as the Goops (goopstechnologies.com, GooPs Plus and GooPs Pro are not freeware), or is "GPS Software for Google Earth" (greg.heppenstall.ca), or "GPS for Google Earth" v3.0 currently ( Software for Windows and PocketPC), etc...
    Also, for GPS's some advanced functions which Google Earth needs GE Plus or GE Pro version, not a free version GE.

6. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Guess I won't buy this:

0. No concurrent USB charging PLUS USB host (OTG) via OTG Y-cables. Dell, Toshiba and all the others need to FIX THIS!
    1. Locked Bios.
    2. Storage seems to be set to slower speeds in Bios (no HS200)
    3. Dell Venue Pro 8 is getting firmware updates, improving touchscreen accuracy (with no sales for this tablet, Toshiba will do nothing of this sort)
    4. No GPS Navigation app (Bing maps or Google maps is crap! this needs google maps NAVIGATION, Bing NAVIGATION or Nokia NAVIGATION apps)
    5. Only 2GB RAM (ok, all the current tablets only have 2GB but it's still a weakness - I am now probably going to wait for 4GB)
    6. In Q1 2014, I would expect 4GB 8" tablets from more than just 2 manufacturers (hopefully Samsung, Asus, etc will jump in on this), which is is going to drive the current gen of tablets into dumping-price territory.
    7. Price for 64GB is probably $100 too expensive (and 32GB is just not usable)

7. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

0. Agreed. If at least some of the Android tablets can do this, it would seem reasonable that Windows tablets could, too.
    1. Not an issue for me, yet; nothing I want to change.
    2. Not an issue for me; I don't expect to do much that is disk-intensive.
    3. I'm not sure what needs to be updated, and it's speculation at this point whether Toshiba will produce updates or not.
    4. That's not a shortcoming of the Toshiba in particular, and it's one that will likely be addressed if Windows tablets with GPS capability become popular.
    5. Agreed, more would be better.
    6. Something better is always coming a few months down the road. This is both useful enough and inexpensive enough that, if one has a use/need for it now, I think it makes sense to go ahead and buy it now.
    7. 32GB is sufficient for a good population of users, especially considering that you can add a 32GB D: drive for $20.

8. timon

timon Pen Pal - Newbie

In Q1 2014 those who could not see the 4GB 8" tablets (by Bay Trail-T processor), very likely must wait for next generation processor in Q4 2014 at least, or 2015.

Bay Trail-T Atom processor has been limited to run 32-bit Windows, not 64-bit Windows.
    The 32-bit Windows which the addressing space can only support max 3GB of RAM, even if 4GB of RAM mounted inside the tablet, but is actually utilized max 3GB just.

if in current to pick out an 8" Windows slate, would still select the 64GB of Toshiba Encore WT8, no else selectable.
    are you wanting a fully perfect slate? in current it is without......

9. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're wrong about Atom chips not supporting 64bit Windows, they clearly do as stated in the z3770 specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/76760/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3770-2M-Cache-up-to-2_39-GHz. The main reason we haven't seen a lot of 4GB atom tablets is likely cost but mostly the delayed 64bit support for connected standby. Once that is fixed its still doubtful how many OEMs are going to sell 64bit Atom tablets.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

10. spunker88

spunker88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Correct bay trail supports 64 bit. But 64 bit Windows takes up more space since it includes 32 and 64 bit versions of some stuff so I can see why they choose 32 bit.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.