New: Toshiba Encore

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by excalibur1814, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to use this a a desktop PC, connected to a monitor, using BT mouse and keyboard, and recharging through the USB ??

If the answer is yes, what is the experience? Can you charge it faster than what it needs to consume to keep everything going??

Thanks!

2. spunker88

spunker88 Pen Pal - Newbie

I used mine the other day to stream a basketball game on watchespn.com. It was outputting video at 1080p to my TV so it wasn't exactly idling. I was using a bluetooth mouse to control it from the couch. It had about 30% battery at the beginning so I put it on the charger and after the game it had about 75-80% IIRC. The tablet was warm, but not too hot, the charger was warmer than the tablet. So the charger should be able to keep up with the tablet when its being used.

sven.hassel likes this.
  3. ashermartin4

ashermartin4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I seemed to have fixed the issue by re-installing windows and updating again, maybe you should give this a try?

4. IntoTheSun

IntoTheSun Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought the Toshiba Encore to have a fully capable PC when I'm away and to enjoy silent computing at home when I'm not playing serious games. I connect the tablet to a 24" 1920×1080 display with a micro HDMI cable.
    To make the USB port available for charging I bought Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Keyboard and the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse - both Bluetooth devices. Unfortunately they don't function properly; the mouse cursor is a bit jumpy (cursor doesn't move smoothly), the keyboard randomly skips registering key presses and once I had a case of stuck key. It often lags too. Now I'm typing this with another wireless MS keyboard that uses a USB receiver - no problems with this one except, of course, I can't charge the tablet. I discovered it's the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network that interferes with the... 2.4GHz Bluetooth radio. The BT peripherals function ok if I switch off the Wi-Fi. So now I'm supposed to replace the otherwise brand new wireless router just because it doesn't use the 5GHz band. Of course, I can't be 100% sure the 5GHz Wi-Fi won't mess with the keyboard and mouse.

Sometimes, apparently depending on the Allow the screen to auto-rotate setting in Control Panel and the position the tablet is in, connecting the HDMI cable results in a weird black screen crash and restart after which everything is ok. I use the option to only show desktop on the big screen, the tablet display goes blank but is still touch sensitive so it draws power.
    I disabled the auto brightness but I can still see a slight flicker when the brightness is set to minimum.
    I would like to have the scaling options set to a higher value when the 24" display is not plugged but the option affects both displays and I don't want to change it every time I switch.

I got a 32GB Sony card UHS-I class 10, rated 40MB/s reading speed but is rather slow:
    [​IMG]
    This is how the internal storage performs:
    [​IMG]

Overall I find the tablet performance to be satisfying; IE desktop version has a slow startup but that might be caused by an add-on like LastPass.
    Oh, I uninstalled the included McAfee antivirus because when it starts to scan, things become really slow. The first Office installation failed because of it.
    I don't like the fact that Internet connectivity stops for desktop apps if I turn off the tablet screen.

They battery charges quick enough when I use the tablet hooked up to the monitor. I would say in about 4-5 hours but I didn't pay much attention to time.

sven.hassel likes this.
  5. Erwindeg

Erwindeg Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same issue. Auto-brite is off since day one, but in the lowest 20% brightness I still experience backlight flicker. My 1ste gen iPad has the same issue on its lowest setting.

6. johntw

johntw Pen Pal - Newbie

No backlight flicker here even on lower manual brightness. Turned auto brightness back on this week, and it is working better than the first week. Not sure why as I don't recall getting any updates.

7. Erwindeg

I try to figure out whether I should return this this unit. The flicker is at its worst about one square (of the slider) above lowest brightness and most noticeable on a complete white screen.
    Can you check if you see any (minor) flicker in this situation? Thanks in advance,

8. TomDD

TomDD Pen Pal - Newbie

I've tried this on my tablet, at one square above min and I can see a very slight flicker. I usually have mine on default which is much brighter and don't have any flicker so reckon the tablet just struggles with low brightness.

Erwindeg - Sorry I didn't reply to your PM but I kept getting a "you are not authorised message" when I tried to send you a message, guess because I'm new to the forum

9. Juacarg

Juacarg Pen Pal - Newbie

good morning,

I am Spanish and buy the encore 32 gb in London at the beginning of the month.

After a reset of factory and after installing the office had the internal memory is full. delete an office file in the temp folder on windows and idk if that already not let me reset. Tells me that they have been deleted files that appear after installing windows, but as I can not reset.

Someone help me to recover memory backup, I delete anything memory to reset.

10. Erwindeg

Thank you for checking. Then I don't have to go to the process of getting a new one from amazon and missing the tablet for s few weeks.
    I checked on my iPad and that too shows a little flicker on a white background. The problem now is that I notice it on all screens. Even my oled phone doesn't have a perfectly still image. I guess I have to do longer reading sessions on an e-ink screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.