New: Toshiba Encore

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by excalibur1814, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketgv

miketgv Pen Pal - Newbie

How did you get it to boot from USB ? mine doesn't detect the USB drive...

2. Erwindeg

Erwindeg Pen Pal - Newbie

What kind of case do you use with your Toshiba Encore's ? I don't like the turning mechanism in the official case.
    Furthermore I am looking for a keyboard dock. There are some cheap keyboard docks for the Samsung galaxy note 8. It has about the same dimensions as the Encore, only the Encore is a few millimeters thicker.

3. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this one, but I wouldn't recommend it as anything other than a stop-gap until something better is available. It's also sold on Amazon; see my review here for details on the problems with that case.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

The charging behavior of the Encore appears to be different from that of the Dell Venue 8 Pro. Both refuse to charge and control USB peripherals at the same time. However, Venue users report that if they get the tablet to start charging by shorting the data leads in a USB cable, once they remove the short it will continue charging and also communicate with USB peripherals. That appears not to be the case with the Encore.

Here's what I did. I have this cable, and I hacked up a USB connector to short the data lines. Sure enough, when I have a power supply and my shorted connector plugged into that cable, the Encore starts charging when I plug the cable into the tablet. However, if I then unplug my shorted connector and plug in a flash drive, the Encore does not see it. The cable does work fine as a USB OTG cable if I don't use the shorted connector first.

My next step is to try shorting the data leads in the cable with a 1.8kΩ resistor, which the Dell users also reported as allowing their tablet to both charge and use USB peripherals. Has anyone tried that with the Encore, or has any other working solution?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Zekk

Zekk Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the stylus support on the Toshiba? I heard the V8 doesn't support the leading brands like Wacom and instead uses its own special system.
    Also what cases/keyboards are you guys using?

6. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

The resistor trick didn't work either. I think it's pretty clear that the Venue and the Encore treat the USB/charging port completely differently. I don't know whether it's even theoretically possible for the Encore to charge and use USB peripherals at the same time; it appears to me that it picks one mode or the other when the USB connector is initially plugged in and won't change until that connection is terminated.

If anyone does find a way, please post it. Thanks.

7. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine arrived with a completely drained battery as well. I charged it until the power indicator reported 100%. Then I rebooted and let it remain plugged in for an hour. According to "powercfg /batteryreport" the battery's full charge capacity is 12,500 mWh, yet the designed capacity is 19,500 mWh. Not good.

I'm going to try recalibrating by letting the tablet run until it automatically shuts off and then fully recharge.

If you want to check the stats on your battery, execute the following (minus the quotes) from an elevated command prompt: "powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html"

The /output flag isn't necessary but conveniently puts the report on your desktop.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    mrcaptain likes this.
  8. roozbehid

roozbehid Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is fine. design and full charge are almost same!

9. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Did yours arrive with a dead battery?

10. roozbehid

roozbehid Pen Pal - Newbie

No i think it had some power in it!
    not much maybe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.