New: Toshiba Encore

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by excalibur1814, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Pretty good price indeed. No stylus options from what I can see though, right?

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm just interested in seeing what the performance will be like, as the first BayTrail device that I've seen. The Verge's preview says:

Seems likely that their conclusion is right, that the drivers still need some work... but that was something that I was hoping that Intel would finally move past (on Atom) with this chip.

Hoping for Anandtech or the like to get their hands on one soon though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Isnt the device still a pre-pro sample? Just thinking about it, I think OEM's should stop showing devices that are obviously not ready. Even though Tom acknowledges this fact he still goes on to bash it against the almight ipad mini and that is the one and only impression that will be perpetuated among the so called "tech" blogs. I would rather wait for the final product before making any judgments.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Of course... but Bay Trail's move to an Ivy Bridge / Haswell style GPU was supposed to mean that Intel would have the driver thing under control right out of the gate this time around.

Obviously, the device hasn't been released yet, and there's plenty of time for improvement. It's just something to keep an eye on, as far as I'm concerned.

6. fortified

fortified Pen Pal - Newbie

With Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo, and ?. jumping into the fray it will be interesting to see how they all play out with the new 8" Windows 8.1 tabs. I suspect most differences will center on outputs, how many and what kind. Maybe some proprietary software goodies.

7. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

The 32GB version is now up for pre-order.

Amazon.com

8. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

With still no release date in sight, this appears to be dead on arrival.

9. spunker88

spunker88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered one of these from Staples. They have them listed as in stock online and also have a $50 off tablet coupon code going right now. So I got it for $330 - $50 = $280 (before taxes). It was hard to beat at this price, this thing has microHDMI and GPS, two features the Venue 8 Pro doesn't have. Will post some sort of review when I get it.

10. Darthy

Darthy Pen Pal - Newbie

The Toshiba seems like ideal with HDMI and GPS, however if I read it correctly it (and the acer w4) only supports SD cards up to 32GB, where the Dell and Lenovo go up to 64GB SD card support ...

Any chance you can verify that when you receive it ? For me having a lot of storage is more important than HDMI & GPS

Thanks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.