New Tool To Undervolt Puma

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by there148, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gekk_gad

gekk_gad Pen Pal - Newbie

idk about that but i do get different speed results when i run linpack at different clock rates (underclocked speeds, don't really want to overclock an oven already) for example at 800mhz 3.3gflops, 1.4ghz 4.2gflops, 2.0ghz 6.2gflops on an rm-70

2. de Souza

de Souza Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you be so kind to try the same tests without downclocking? I'd do it myself but won't be on my laptop for a while.

3. Draconis_Torvus

Draconis_Torvus Pen Pal - Newbie

So far CPU-Z has confirmed all the frequencies that the utility has set, and at the extreme of 50 MHz, things do get very bogged down. I've only clocked down, not up, so I'm not sure if the upper values are right. Did your friend run stability tests at that frequency?

4. de Souza

Hm, so it does work. That's good to hear. Did anyone mess with the north bridge voltage?

To answer your question, Draconis: yes, Prime95. Temperatures were around ~90°C (although he has an 14'' Acer, it could have a decent heatsink - but then again I would probably just heat up anyway at 3,2GHz!).

He said Super Pi times were actually faster without the overclock. And now I'm thinking maybe it throttled down due to overheating?

5. gekk_gad

gekk_gad Pen Pal - Newbie

what (DID) did he use? if he uses the lower (DID)'s instead of the highest available (which is 0) then he will get lower performance while being able to maintain a higher clock rate. i tried this because i overclocked my rm-70 to 2.4ghz using (DID 1) and whatever FID and it was even slower than the regular 2.0ghz that came stock with my system.

6. de Souza

Hmm, I see. Interesting. I have no idea what settings he used, but I'll ask when I have the chance. Although it sounds quite weird, same clock rate but different performance?

By the way I did some testings myself and messing with the clocks does work. I didn't overclock though, and I'm not willing to do it. There's no need and there's no heatsink for that. :p

The problem I faced was that it doesn't save my settings. After a restart all profiles are back to default, so there's no much use. Anyone saw this as well?

7. darkassain

darkassain Pen Pal - Newbie

what i have found is that using the AMD overdrive tool sometimes shows me different speeds from the ones shown in either cputemp or cpu-z (i saw that at some point it halves the speed that is shown in the k10stat and these other cpu testing utilities)
    since i am benchmarking using the AMD overdrive tool i can see a noticeable change from a too high FID to the default FID (i own a tx2500z with a zm-80...) so im trusting amd's tool to the others...

another observation is at sometimes no matter what i do when i have a high frequency it at some-point defaults to 1.1v